07/13/2021

... Apparently the exhaustion immediately took over as I never finished my last entry and haven't written since.

I could have pretended, and added on as if I completed it the day I started it.  But that wouldn't be truthful or create an accurate portrayal of my story.

It's been a month and work has become both easier and harder at the same time.  I know how to do more things, and am considered the "veteran" employee in my unit (which doesn't say a lot considering I have only been here for three months).  And while I do know more than most of the other employees (half of them are newer than me), I still know hardly anything at all. 

Every day I look at my To-Do list comprised of over 30 tasks and just pick the one that if it isn't done, I'll be pestered about it until it is.  It may not even be the most important on my list, but it's the one where the foster parent/caseworker/attorney won't leave me alone about until finished.

My job does have positives:
-I am able to flex my hours if one day I need to leave early to take my dog to the vet or attend a doctors appointment that will be $100 for them to write me a prescription for my Zoloft.

-I get to sit down for a majority of the day; and before you say I'm lazy, have you ever stood for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 3 years straight on concrete floors?  No matter how often I bought new Sketchers Shape-Ups, my back and legs would throb after every shift.

-I make a difference in people's lives by doing impactful work.  While some may say finding the perfect skincare routine is a game-changer/life-saver, it feels a lot better to aid in the adoption of a child into their forever family or reunify parents with their children.

These are only a couple of the benefits of my current job.

However.

I fear the negatives will always out-way them:
-I am hardly home, with me averaging 50 hours a week.
-My phone never stops ringing from texts and calls.
-We don' t make enough money for the work we do.

There's no clear line of when work stops and my personal time begins, and that's what I struggle with the most.  I know a lot of other workers will turn their phone off once they are home, but considering one of my kids is epileptic, it feels very irresponsible of me to do that.

I need to figure out a way to effectively balance it all, and fast, before I type up my two-weeks notice.