10. what a heavenly way to die

Start from the beginning

Omma cleaned a slob of black bean sauce dripping down her chin. "Let me fix you a date."

"Omma", I rolled my eyes.

"Just go on this one date, Taehy. Let omma help you", she had already gotten her hopes up. She either really believed she could get me a date, or she was very desperate.

"I'm actually very good at getting myself dates, but thank you", I said to reassure her. Lies.

Jungkook was in my head while we spoke on and on about blind dates. I never actually saw him on campus and found myself disappointed by it, and feeling foolish every time I sprayed extra perfume just in case. I thought of how I couldn't really get myself the date that I wanted, because it was too delicate, and it wouldn't be fair to him to go on a date with me when I'm still emotionally attached to Jimin. I told that to myself to keep me away from the handphone, assuming that he probably wouldn't want to go on a date with me anyways.

//

It was nearly the end of March and I had spent months secluded, not going out with anyone or seeking one night stands as I usually would, with one objective in mind: be comfortable. Being glad by myself, until my own company was no longer bothersome.

Omma told me over and over to take pictures of Jimin and me at the wedding. I was mentally preparing myself to have an honest conversation with him for weeks but ended up always postponing it to the next weekend, and to the next weekend, and to the next one. Coward.

I fixed my hair back, thanking myself for making the right decision on a caramel-colored suit a few weeks prior to the wedding. I probably would get a lot of shit from ahjummas for not wearing a tie, but instead, I had my white shirt's buttons undone and the small V-neck revealed a small portion of flesh from my collarbones and a delicate green necklace, all complimenting my skin tone and body. The high-waisted bold choice looked good on me, and I certainly felt confident in it.

It was the first time I saw anyone that isn't a co-worker, omma or Ye-ji since abeoji's improvised memorial. I arrived in the ballroom with no date by my side, as expected. Seokjin was at the reception with his parents, both of them sporting a beautiful suit, and his mother, a traditional lilac hanbok.

Seokjin smiled warmly, opening his arms to welcome me with a hug. I took it awkwardly, considering we never had this kind of interaction before. "You're alive", he said, making fun of my disappearing.

"Congratulations, hyung", I said, still trapped in his arms. "You look great."

He thanked me, long black locks stayed perfectly in place as he moved his head in a subtle bow.

"You too, omma", I turned to Seokjin omma, who tilted her head a little at my omma treatment, seeming surprised but not exactly enjoying it. After all, we barely met a few times, but Seokjin was my hyung after all. She didn't complain, so I invested in more flattery. "You look gorgeous."

"Where do you know my Jinnie from?" She adorably asked while I shook his appa's hand.

"College."

"So you're a lawyer too?" Seokjin abeoji asked back, giving me a lot more attention than I anticipated, while there was a line of people waiting behind me to greet the groom and family.

"No, I'm an academic."

They were surprised and gave me a big smile that matched Seokjin's. "You're a good looking young man, please enjoy yourself."

A man that I recognized to be his hyung appeared from behind the counter, he was in charge of collecting the gifts, and so I walked the few steps there to hand him my contribution to the wedding in a white envelope filled with four 50,000 won bills.