An eight-year-old Shikamaru was sitting next to his father playing Shogi.

"Dad, why does everyone hate Naruto this much? I get it he is the vessel of the nine tails, but it's not like he himself is nine tails," said Shikamaru as he made his move.

"Sometimes people forget the most basic things in life. They let fear dictate what they do," said Shikaku.

"Too troublesome," said Shikamaru.

A few moments later, he once again asked him something.

"Why is he working so hard to get stronger then?" asked Shikamaru.

"He wants to protect those close to him. That's why," said Shikaku.

"Troublesome..." he muttered.

"What do you want to do?" asked Shikaku.

"I want to become an average ninja, marry an average woman, have an average life," said Shikamaru.

"Then quit trying to become a ninja," said Shikaku.

"Huh? What do you mean?" asked Shikamaru.

"Being a ninja isn't a game. The average doesn't survive. They lose their lives, or worst, their comrades, Do you want to live with the fact that your comrades died because you didn't work hard enough?" asked Shikaku.

"No..." said Shikamaru.

"Just because you have brains does not mean you can do anything. To become good at anything, you need to put in the continuous effort," said Shikaku as Shikamaru made his move.

"Because sometimes even geniuses lose due to lack of experience or lack of practice," said Shikaku as he defeated Shikamaru with the next move.

Shikamaru pondered on these words, and increased his training, only to forget these words until someone would inspire him to do more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE ME! I won't run. I can't let my teammates fail. I will take it. But even if it means being stuck as genin forever, I will become Hokage no matter what it takes. I AM NOT SCARED!" declared Naruto. 

'That Naruto. He always takes any challenge head-on, and somehow comes on top. Troublesome, but nice,' thought Shikamaru while holding his pen in between his lips and nose.

"Being a ninja isn't a game. The average doesn't survive. They lose their lives, or worst, their comrades, Do you want to live with the fact that your comrades died because you didn't work hard enough?"

'... Naruto is right. Dad was right. I need to work hard like them. I can't just work less, or whatever would happen to those I care about would be on me. I too can't let my teammates down,' thought Shikamaru as he sat up straight, paying attention to someone after a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A team from the land of water was in front of Shikamaru's team. Choji's feet were stuck into the ground and Ino was injured.

'Shadow possession jutsu,' he thought as he took control of one of the ninjas. He made him attack the second ninja from behind, one that was against Ino.

The second ninja on instinct stabbed the first whose scream echoed the area. The second one's eyes were as wide as saucers. Meanwhile, Ino took control of the second one who threw his Kunai at the third one hitting him in the back.

"Choji now," said Shikamaru as Choji expanded his hand and punched the third one sending him flying towards the second as Ino went out of him at the last moment. The third member collided with the second and Shikamaru made the first knock them both out.