Daring to Date Dale, Part Two

When Rubi first spotted Dale in the foyer of the cinema, he didn't look so bad. Rubi said to herself; I can do this.' He was wearing a navy knitted jumper with some red writing on the front. At first, Rubi couldn't see what it said, but as she got closer, she saw the words were; I'm a Nanna's Boy.

OMG, said Rubi out loud.

Hi Rubes, do you like my jumper? I wore it especially for you. My Nanna knitted it herself.

Don't call me Rubes, snapped Rubi .Aren't you a bit old for jumpers like that? I think you should take it off, or people will think you're weird; which you are anyway, she whispered under her breath.

Well, I haven't got anything on underneath. Rubi rolled her eyes. Besides, Dale said, I like to show how much I love my Nanna.

Rubi, let's go and see that Zombie Zoo movie. Do you like Zombies?

I hate them, replied Rubi'and on a first date you're supposed to let me choose.

Okay ,said Dale a bit taken aback What do you want to see? There isn't much else on.'

 Yes there is, answered Rubi. There's the Airport Movie for the 21st century. Apparently deadly spiders get released onto an aircraft in a terrorist attack. Well, I'd like to see that.

That's OK I guess, said Dale. I still like Zombies better though.

We're not watching Zombies, said Rubi, stamping her foot and rolling her eyes. We think she was probably over this date by now and it hadn't even started.

Stace and I have seen the Airport for the 21st century movies. There's a whole series of them Janie's in them and she's a real star. She's one thing that Jewel Park can be proud of. They're cool movies.

What's in that basket? asked Rubi, who suddenly noticed that Dale was carrying a large basket with tea-towel over the top. Geez, what boys carry baskets? Have you become Little Red Riding Hood?

It's full of surprises for you, Dale told her. Heaps of stuff to eat during the movie and he pulled back the cloth and revealed bags and bags of lollies.

Why did you buy so much? Rubi wanted to know.

I didn't buy them.'

You stole them?

Nah, my auntie works in a $2 shop and she gave them to me. The drinks won't be cold by now though. Hope you don't mind.'

Well, I only eat popcorn and cold drinks at movies, so you can eat the lollies all by yourself.

I'm off to buy a cold drink and some popcorn

Okay, replied Dale.

By the way Dale, on a first date, you're supposed to buy the tickets, drinks and food. Otherwise just don't bother to ask anyone out. You go and buy the tickets

Rubi, you keep on talking about a first date. Does that mean we' ll have a second date?

Rubi rolled her eyes again. Dream on Dale'

Rubes, sorry I don't have enough money to buy the tickets. Can you...?

?