25. be

guys this is the last chapter!!!

═══ ♪ ✧⁎ reader's pov ⁎✧ ♪ ═══

The sweet tension of gaining consciousness after a full night of sleep floods your senses, as you're lightly being shaken awake.

You roll over and Spencer's eyes are still closed, half asleep. He hums as you reach over to brush the hair out of his face and his phone is out, in your view you see he was just on call with Penelope.

"Do we have a case?" You brace yourself against your own elbow, continuing to play with his hair as he nods, "Salt Lake."

"Huh, nostalgic."

You plant a kiss on his forehead and he returns a sweet smile, getting up and stretching, preparing to get ready for work- then you realize your surroundings. "Spencer, none of your stuff is here."

"That's okay, you can wear something of mine, I've done it before, who's to say you can't," his groggy voice is tempting, but there's work to be done. You throw a pillow at him to get the man up, to which he glares at you.

Browsing in your closet, you pick a plain black button down, donning it tucked into your beige trousers from the day before.

Spencer used the time you were in the bathroom to dress himself, wearing essentially the same as you, just color swapped. A beige sweater and black pants  from his work bag.

You stop for coffee and a bit to eat on the way, Spencer feeding you while you drive and arriving just on time to the bureau. Penelope greets you with a tight embrace, Luke standing beside her. "Pen, I saw you the other day."

"I know but any time apart from you feels like a lifetime!" She rocks you back and forth, reaching her hand out for Spencer and Luke to join, forming a group hug. She whispers in your ear, though loud enough for everyone to hear, "Luke told me about you and our boy, I'm so happy for you both!"

The group disperses, and you thank her. Everyone gathers in the round table room, Spencer sitting beside you with Tara on the other side. Emily and Penelope present the case, the rest of the team listening and making notes.

"Alright wheels up in twenty." You got the gist of what's been happening, ready to go in more depth on the jet. Women are found poisoned in their own homes, while seated for dinner. It looked romantic based on the setting, though the details and touches don't seem to be committed by a male suitor.

Matt, Spencer, you, and Tara ride in one SUV, Emily, JJ, Juke and Rossi in the other. Penelope stayed back to help from her cave, and Spencer was granted access from his doctor to fly.

To remain professional, you and Spencer keep your distance, other than holding pinkies in the car, but that was more of a comfort thing. In the jet, more details are found. All three victims had signed up for a site where women can meet other women. "So the unsub's a woman? That helps,'' Matt closes his folder, the rest following, leaving group discussions open.

═ ⁎✧⁎ ═

It's been hours; it feels more like days to you, though. It's raining of course, making it difficult to get a break. Normally, you'd take a walk around the block or something along those lines, but to remain dry, you figure staying put is the best choice.

Nearing 9pm with no breakthrough, Emily feels it's best to settle in for the night.

Spencer seems off his game today, usually by now he's come up with something to further the case, but not today. You don't know why, he seemed okay this morning and for most of the day, but as it progressed he faltered further.

The hotel is right down the street, everyone else went to the SUV's, but you asked Luke if he knew where the umbrellas were. He pointed you to a few in the trunk, you grabbed one and went to find the doctor.

He's standing by the break room, styrofoam cup in hand sipping coffee. "Hey, do you want to walk with me? it's not that far I figured it would be a nice break."

He simply nodded, taking another sip before discarding the cup in the trash. He reached out his hand for you to take as you exited the building, opening the umbrella and putting it between you two.

"Are you alright?" You walked hand in hand, Spencer seemingly daydreaming.

He made a weird face, squinting as if he was trying to think of how to phrase it, "Yeah, it's just the case." You gestured for him to elaborate.

"It sounds stupid- I just feel like i'm failing if that makes sense? I guess by now I would've cracked the case, and it feels like I'm letting everyone down as the 'residential genius' by not solving it."

"It's not stupid- it makes sense. The pressure being put on you for how smart you are isn't fair, but I know no one thinks of you any less. They're all just as focused and committed as you and me, and they know it's unfair to expect all that from one person; genius or not."

"I guess you're right, it doesn't make it feel any less crummy though."

You figure not to apologize, over-apologizing is a big thing between you and Spencer, each of you always worried about disappointing someone. So you just nudge his shoulder, continuing to walk the short distance.

At the hotel, the rest of the team is obviously waiting, sleeping arrangements are being dispersed: Rossi and Matt together, JJ and Emily, Luke and Spencer, Tara and you.

Before setting in for the night, Tara and Luke invite you to the bar, and how could you refuse. Emily also invited Spencer, you suppose for some makeshift mother-son bonding.

Tara gets a booth on the side and orders a round, the trio reunited again. You glance over to see Emily and Spencer sitting at the bar, chatting.
As the night goes on, drinks are downed, and by 11 Luke is giving Tara a look, then to you and across the room to Spencer, "What?"

"Oh nothing," Luke starts, obviously up to something. "Tara, why don't you and I bunk? It's been a while since we've hung out." They're hanging out right now?

"That sounds like a great idea Lucas," She says, a bit too suspicious as they start to pack their things. Giving curt goodbyes, and as they depart you hear Luke mutter, "You know that's not my legal name right?"

You silently thank them for putting Spencer with you again, and when you go to meet him, he seems just as grateful.

You both say goodnight to Emily, grabbing your bags and making your way. You're in room 204, so you head to the stairs, Spencer still refuses to use elevators.

In the room, bags are tossed and bodies thrown on the bed. There's only one (this trope >>>). Spencer seems to be drunk, not wasted, just enough so his perception is a bit blurred.
He lays on his back, fully clothed with his eyes closed and you go to take a shower, washing the stress of the day down the drain; figuratively and literally.

When you get back, Spencer is laying there, still. You throw the towel at him, already in your pajamas and he sits up. "You're so cool you know that?"

"Mhm I am pretty cool." You wring your hair in a t-shirt, plugging your phone in and setting an alarm for the morning, taking a seat next to spencer.

"No. you're so cool and I literally love you so much which is crazy cause just last year I couldn't stand you but here you are!"

"You love me?"

His smiley, carefree expression drops, replaced by regret and overthinking, "Oh my gosh should I not have said that?" His eyes are wide, a scarlet blush draped across his cheeks.

"Well, do you?" He thinks for a second, trying to gauge how your reaction would be to the truth, before dismissing his thoughts, a dopey smile now across his face and nodding vigorously.

You laugh a little, "Good, I love you too. Now go take a shower."

═════ ♪ ✧⁎ ☆ ⁎✧ ♪ ══════

lmao the end

<3V.