*JUST ANOTHER COURTROOM*

“Will you at least give me a few minutes to look at some things?” He stood silent, then nodded. He still didn’t let go of Ruby, but he dropped the bag. I grabbed my phone and searched for something that would buy me some time. I kind of already knew what I was after, I just didn’t know if it was going to help in this situation. I pulled up our states websites and after just a few moments found what I was looking for. “We could at least ask  Ms Riley if this would give us a better chance at keeping Ruby.” 

    He took the phone and read what I had pulled up. I could see he was mulling it over in his head. I knew it wasn’t what he wanted. He wanted  the best possible chance, this was the only one I could give him. After a few minutes he handed me back the phone before laying back down with Ruby. I didn’t say anything else to him. I didn’t know what to say really. They both went back to sleep within the hour, but I stayed awake until I could hear my father moving around in the living room. 

    Baby giggles opened my eyes, but Johnny’s face had me awake. Then I heard more than two voices in the living room. He scooped her up and we made our way down the hall. Ms Riley was sitting next to my mother. I tried not to frown at her, it wasn’t her fault. But then again, I guess it kinda was, she picked this job. 

    “Hello Lily. Johnny tells me you two have something you would like to discuss with us.” I sat down on the floor with Ruby and her toys. 

    “Yes. Yesterday you said that Johnny’s chances of keeping Ruby were very slim. We have discussed a few things and were wondering if Johnny and I were to become Domestic Partners-Legally, would that help?” She looked shocked. 

    “Have your parents agreed to this?”  I cocked an eyebrow at her. 

    “I’m eighteen, I’ve graduated high school. I don’t have to have anyone's permission.”  She looked at my parents. “They aren’t asking you any questions. I am.” She cleared her throat. 

    “Well your age works against you. Your recent hospitalization certainly works against you. But yes I believe if you decided to legally take responsibility for each other, that would help. How much I don’t know. It would be much better if your parents supported this decision.”  I looked at my parents. My mother spoke. 

    “We will do what is in the best interest of Ruby. She does need her brother. We will do whatever to make that happen.” That wasn’t really a statement of support.  Ms Riley took out a piece of paper and wrote something down on it. 

    “The first hearing for Ruby’s placement is in two days. Here is the address and time. I’ll be there with a lawyer from the state representing Ruby’s interests. I suggest you get representation as well.” My father walked her to the door,  then sat by my mom when he came back.

    “Johnathan I understand you want to keep your sister close. You have no family to speak of and with your mother passing.” He paused “We would like to have you and Ruby with us, permanently. We spoke with your mother before she passed. She gave her blessing. However we would like for this to be your decision.” Johnny shook his head. 

    “I can take care of her. It’s my responsibility now.” My father nodded

    “I understand, but what I’m trying to say is it doesn't have to be. We are more than happy to be there for you.” Johnny's face started to turn red. I didn’t understand. I would have been so relieved if I were in his shoes. Three people were offering to take him in and love him. But he was acting like we were ripping everything away.  I took his face in my hands. I looked into his eyes. 

    “Johnny, I would be so happy to have you and Ruby as family. We’d be together, taken care of. You both would never have to worry about anything ever again.” He grabbed my wrists and squeezed. I let go of his face from the discomfort.