5/PhD in Stalking

Start from the beginning

"Aww, don't be that salty. The school agreed with my friends and me to spread positivity in the school by giving free hugs. Just a little token to change the world."

I laughed a cynical laugh, clapping the bag of chips and Coke together. "Change the world? Boy, what do you know about changing the world?"

"Well, every little act counts," he said philosophically. That sounded like something from Malala Yousafzai.

"How corny," I laughed again. Then, I wiped the smile off my face and moved slowly towards him. I didn't have to tiptoe to reach his ear. And I whispered, "You can't change the world with a hug. Get that through your thick skull."

And with that, I sauntered to my seat, feeling a few eyes travel in my direction. It was then I notice the dining hall was silent and it soon broke into whispers.

Whispers I knew are about my little encounter with a Malala Yousafzai wannabe.

I tried to zone out of the hall and just enjoy my snacks in peace. I was not one to give a tuppence about what people thought of me. But I did care about what my friends and family thought of me. I could feel the eyes of Mona bore holes in my bowed head.

"What?" I asked, not able to contain myself anymore. I looked up to see a smirk on Jennifer's face. She had already downed her bottle of Coca-Cola with a few chips in a bag. Her phone was on the table and whatever was on my face, it sure was fascinating her.

"I just can't believe you talked to Rahim like that."

Rahim.

So that was the boy's name. It sounded like a nice name, but come on, giving hugs to random people wasn't the best move, Rahim.

"What about him?"

"He's like the most optimistic boy in the school and everybody treats him like gold. He's so nice. I can't believe you spoke to him like that."

"Listen, Mona, you know I don't like an invasion of privacy, and come on, that boy - Rahim, was all up in my space. Just to get a hug and change the world. Were his brains abducted by aliens or what?"

"It's not his fault. That's what he believes in, and he managed to stop a student from killing himself last semester," Mona argued.

"Oh, so now he's a superhero. Well, I don't care. No hug means no hug." I said with a sense of finality, picking at my chips with a pout on my lips.

"But Salma, he was totally checking you out," Mona said, wiggling her eyebrows. I shot her daggers.

"Were your brains abducted by aliens, or you're trying to get on my nerves?"

"No, I'm being honest."

"Yeah, right. Somebody I met in less than an hour and had a bad encounter with me would be checking me out. Totally normal," I retorted, sarcasm oozing like a fresh cut on the lip.

"Don't fight it. You're beautiful so it shouldn't be hard for someone to check you out. Besides, you and Rahim would make a cute couple. The both of you are cute and all," Mona replied with a feign of innocence. I gagged in retort. Is this girl okay?

Just when I was about to shoot her a reply, the bell was rung for break over. Students started dispersing from the dining hall, booth by booth. It got to my turn and I had to walk over to the snack bar and put the leftovers in the dustbin. Rahim was still there, saying goodbye to each and every student that passed him by.

And even though it was annoying, they actually responded with smiles. Oh well, too bad he was not going to get that from me. I walked over to the dustbins which had Plastic, Metals & Glass, and then Paper. I put the bottle and pack of chips in the Plastic Dustbin and when I turned to quickly leave without getting the attention of that insufferable boy, he called me.