Chapter 52

"Is this what you're looking for Davey?"

JoJo picked a bulky file out of the top  drawer of Pulitzer's desk. He handed it to Davey who inspected the front.

"I think so," he mumbled distractedly.

"What does it say?" Spot asked from beside Race, with his arm around his boyfriend's shoulders, where he had moved to as soon as he entered the room.

"That we're here to see if certain genes can effect intelligence and how certain areas of intelligence do when faced with others," Davey explained. "I think
that's the gist of it anyway."

"So we're all just one big experiment," Race slowly said trying to wrap his head around the concept.

"Yeah, I think so."

None of them knew how to process what was happening. They just stood in silence, each of them waiting for someone else to say something.

"Should we tell someone?" Spot finally spoke up.

They all let a breath of relief go.

"Who would we tell though?" Race asked hopelessly.

"What about Ms. Medda, she always seems to care for us and be honest," JoJo suggested.

They all nodded before looking at Jack.

"Why are you all looking at me?" he asked, completely oblivious to what they were implying.

Davey wanted to kiss Jack, he thought it was cute how oblivious he could be at times, but unfortunately there were four other people in the room.

"You're like the unofficial leader of all of us, so it'd only make sense for you to tell her," Davey explained.

Jack's mouth made an O shape and his face lit up in what could only be described as a lightbulb moment.

"I'd that why whenever anything happens-" he started before being cut off by an impatient Spot.

"We go to you. Yes Jack," Spot deadpanned. "Now are you going to do it or not?"

"Okay, I'll do it," Jack said over dramatically.

He put his hands on his hips and looked ahead at nothing pretending to be the superhero protagonist of some adventure film.

The boys burst out laughing and Race shoved him out of his 'superhero stance'.

Davey put the individual files back into the filing cabinet while JoJo put the general experiment file back into the drawer.

Jack and Spot went to take the towel off of the camera once the rest of the boys had cleared out of the office.

Race and Albert shut the office up and made sure to put in the code so it was locked as it was before they arrived.

They set off to the common room to tell the other boys about their findings and plan how to tell Ms. Medda the news.

They had taken pictures of the files to show the rest of the Newsies and Ms. Medda so they couldn't be accused of lying.

Davey had a secret love for photography and had brought a camera with him once they returned from the Winter Holidays to take pictures of the Newsies and their antics.

"Do you think they'll believe us?" Race asked Spot as they walked hand in hand.

"I don't know but we'll just have to hope they do," Spot admitted.

Race just nodded and wrapped his arm around Spot's waist.

~~~
539 words