Gowns and Secrets

Start from the beginning

: : : : :

So far I've tried three dresses, plus the one I have on now. The first one, Marybel talked me into trying. But it was way too lacey at the top and there were sequins and just no.

The second one had flowers spreading up and down from the hip, and although it was pretty, it looked like something out of a fairytale. I sort of wish Thalia was here right now because she too has a more logical style, like me.

The third one was nice. It was pretty plain, with minor detailing at the top, but it just didn't click with me.

I slide out of the one I'm wearing now. This one was really pretty. The sleeves were short and flowy with a ribbon around the waist. It was gorgeous really, but same thing- it didn't click.

I'm already starting to get impatient. I hardly go shopping because I hate spending time on frivolous things. Wedding dresses seem extremely frivolous. They're frilly things you wear once - maybe twice, in your life that you pay a ton of money for and then you never wear them again. The entire idea is ludicrous. Might as well just dress up in church clothes or something. At least then you'll get to wear it more than once.

I throw on my clothes once again and go out into the shop area to keep searching.

Juliette sits in a chair waiting for me, "I think you should've gone with that last one, it was really pretty."

I shake my head, "It wasn't the one."

Marybel grabs another poofy dress off the rack, "What about this one?"

I look at the dress, "I don't think so."

Marybel sighs, sticking it back on the rack, "You're so difficult."

"Sorry." I mumble, walking over to a rack we haven't looked at yet.

I rifle through the dresses, searching for something that will catch my eyes. Dress after dress goes by and nothing sparks an interest in me. I'm about to give up when a flash of blue catches my eye. I stop and stare at the dress. It's plain. No lace. No detail. Just white silky fabric that touches the floor. The thing about it that strikes me most, is the pale blue ribbon that wraps around the waist delicately. The sleeves are short and the neck line is perfect.

I hear Juliette and Marybel still talking in the background. I mutter, "This is the one."

Juliette and Marybel look up at me, "What?"

I point to the dress, getting excited, "This is it, this is my wedding dress! It's my size and everything!"

Marybel and Juliette rush over. They examine the dress. Marybel likes the blue too, but she doesn't think it has enough detail ("it's just way too plain!"). Juliette thinks it's adorable and says I'll look nice in it.

I grab it off the rack, "I'm going to try it on!"

Juliette gasps, "Wait!"

I stop and she grabs the price tag looking at it in excited awe, "It's on sale."

Marybel looks at her astonished, "On sale?"

Juliette nods quickly and my mouth falls open.

Marybel squeals and looks at me, "It's a sign!"

The two of them tackle me in a hug and we all stand there giggling like little girls as we clutch onto the dress for dear life. I excitedly pull away, smiling, "Come on, I want to see what I'll look like on my wedding day!"