Second Chance (Dust x Reader)

Requested by: 

He wasn't really sure where or how he had ended up where he was, but after several days of being here, he had given up on finding a way back or waiting for someone to come get him. The only thing that really concerned him even up until now, was that Papyrus no longer seemed to bother him. At first he didn't know how to feel, initially feeling amused, then confused, agitated, sorrowful, till finally....nothing.
After reaching that final stage, he took in more of his surroundings and left the small area he had restricted himself to until that point just in case someone came for him.

He thought he world around him appeared normal, feeling more direct sunlight, having been in a more wooded area before. It was also quiet save for the sparse birdsong and blowing of the wind, some source of running water in the distance. Figuring he surely had nothing better to do, he convinced himself to head towards the water. Where there was water, there was typically life. 

Dust wasn't really sure how to feel if he were to find someone else wherever he was, his old habit of killing for EXP surprisingly not feeling as appealing as it had the very day he started. His steps faltered with the sudden realization that he no longer felt the need to kill anymore.  Not even the little itch of toying around with someone begging for their life could be felt in his Soul. Yet another strange feeling from being wherever he was. At least, that what he thought was happening, it only made sense. Well, as much sense as this entire situation could for him.

With a shake of his skull to regain his focus, he continued on, the sound of water growing louder as he neared what was a decent sized river. There, the sounds of wildlife was more apparent, something about it bringing up an emotion Dust hadn't felt in a long time. Peace.
Upon that first faint realization, he slowly sat himself down on seemingly perfect green grass to really contemplate everything. It'd been so long...
Everything he'd done. The people he hurt, the ones he killed-

....Papyrus

He snapped himself out of it before he brought up all those memories again, flinching when he felt something fall onto his leg.
Water? No, he wasn't that close to the river-
Another drop.
Wait.
He reached a hand up to one of his sockets and looked at his gloved hand when he pulled it away. He was crying. He was actually crying, these were tears, his tears.

Just what kind of place was this?-

He was snapped from his thoughts when he heard something coming, looking around only to see no place to really hide behind anything, the trees he came from being too far to run too and he knew he wasn't focused or familiar enough with this place to teleport yet. So he just sat there. He was perfectly capable of defending himself anyways should something aggressive come out.

Nothing aggressive came out though. The only thing he saw emerge at the other side of the river was a human. The human in question had yet to even notice Dust as they neared the flow, a jug in hand to be used to collect water. It wasn't until they filled their jug and tried to lift it up that they finally saw the sitting skeleton across the bank.

"There you are! Would you mind coming over to help me a little please?
We can talk about some things after too."
The lady called out to him from where she was, not a trace of fear or even confusion in her voice.

Dust definitely hesitated though, a little put off by this lady's comfortable response to him even being here. The more he dwelled on it though, the more something in him was telling him to go with her. She didn't look dangerous and he had nothing better to do. She apparently wasn't going anywhere else either, patiently waiting for him to come across the river to her.

Luckily for him, the water wasn't that deep, staying completely silent wile he walked over. Once he made it across, he made sure to tug his hood forward a little more to prevent it falling, not looking at the human directly.

"The quiet type, I see. Well, I'm sure we can fix that when we get back. Thanks for the help."
She continued to speak to him in such a kind, welcoming way. She moved away from the full jug to let him carry it, a warm smile on her face.

He considered using his magic to pick up the jug but decided against it for now just to conserve his magic for later just in case. When he had a good hold on it and made sure the water wouldn't spill, he waited for her to lead the way to wherever she would lead him.
And lead him she did, giving him a quick pat on the arm as she passed him, following a dirt and gravel path that eventually lead to a well made wooden home.

"You can just set it down right here and come inside when you'd like. It's just you and me over here so don't worry."
You gently instructed him, pointing to a large barrel by the door that was filled just a little over halfway with water already.

Going inside to give him a moment that you figured he'd probably need, you looked around for some snacks to bring out to offer him whenever he would come in. It was always nice to offer food after all.

"....where am I?"
A sudden question from behind you almost startled you while you were bringing down some cookies but you quickly got over it in order to look over and answer you guest.

"Finally talking I see, how nice.
This place doesn't really have a name but I find that usually doesn't matter. And before you ask, the universe sent you here.
I know it might sound strange or whatever but that's really all there is to it."
Taking a pause, you walked towards him, holding out the cookies to him with an extra kind smile.
"It's time for your second chance!"

"second chance?.... second chance for what?
who are you?"
He responded only really to the last thing you said but even then that didn't surprise you.

"Oh- How silly of me, my name is (Y/n), and second chance for a good life of course!
When I get new people here, my mission is simply to help you be a better person. That's about it."
You blushed in embarrassment, realizing you had forgotten to introduce yourself earlier. Speaking of embarrassing, since when had you gotten so close?

"a better life huh...
you have no idea the things i've done lady."
Being as close as you were, you could finally see his eyes, intrigued by their colors. The weight implied by his words was quite prevalent. However, you were used to hearing people say this kind of thing, as well being distracted by wanting to get a better look at him.

"I won't if you don't talk to me. Which, by the way, what is your name? Unless you'd like me to call you mister hooded skeleton."
You lightly threw in a joke to make things a little easier for the both of you. Humor had a very good record on helping ease newcomers into this world with you. 

"name's Sans but most call me Dust."
He answered simply, narrowing his sockets at you a bit, disregarding your want to know his story. That had almost the opposite effect on you though, his reservation only caught your interest more.

"Alright then Sans, it's very nice to meet you."
Pausing when a thought occurred, you grabbed a cookie yourself and gently but insistently held it against his teeth before you continued.
"I look forward to hearing more about you and bringing out that nice guy I can already see you being."

He stiffened when you held the cookie against his mouth, his eye lights going out for a second before they lit up again and he reluctantly took a bite. A light purple hue slowly appearing on his cheek bones while he chewed.

Something about you was just so strange yet captivating at the same time. Sure he was still confused in terms of why, of all the multiverses, he was the one here.
Your kindness and insistence on getting to know him gave him a sense of some kind of excitement and even fear he hadn't felt before.
Regardless, he was still weary of actually opening himself up to you, but he would just have to see what spending more time with you would bring.
And in such a strange yet calm world, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.