If Luca were to risk it all and jump into the water, it could save him. But that meant it could also out Alberto. Alberto was always with Luca, it would be impossible for him not to be questioned as a sea monster if Luca revealed his true identity. And after all Alberto had done, Luca couldn't let it all go to waste.

"So, Piccoletto," Ercole said through deep breaths. "Do you give up?"

Luca shook his head with a doleful look. The heels of his feet were hanging over the ledge, which weren't supplying Luca with much balance.

"What's the matter?" Ercole shouted. "Can't swim?"

Luca looked back up, tears squeezing out the corner of his eyes. There was no getting out of this. Ercole had won. He'd grab Luca, and put him up against the wall like he did with Alberto. And then. . .

"Now come here, Piccoletto," Ercole said, holding out a hand. "I won't hurt you. I just want to talk."

Luca shook his head no as he struggled to keep balance on the ledge.

"I don't want to talk!" Luca shouted. "Just leave me alone! Help! Alberto! Alberto! Alber-"

Ercole laughed as he shook his head, stepping closer. "Alberto's not here to save you this time! There's no way out of this. Just come here!"

Luca looked up, past Ercole, and his eyes widened. "Alberto!"

Ercole's eyes widened as he turned around, but Alberto wasn't there. The plan worked.

Luca bolted, taking advantage of Ercole's surprise. In an instant, he dashed to the right, making it past Ercole just before his predator found out.

"Hey!" Ercole shouted in surprise as he realized what Luca had done. "Get back here!"

Luca sprinted up a dark alleyway, where all the apartments seemed broken down or abandoned. His shallow breathing worsened as he felt a painful wave tighten his side. Luca doubled over, taking a hand off the stem of the rose to put pressure where he had felt the pain. But he was forced to keep going as he felt Ercole get closer behind him. Luca listened to Ercole's screams get quieter as Luca took a twisting path through the alleyways to lose his predator.

After five minutes of non stop running, Luca had come back to where he started. Almost. He was in a steep, dark alleyway that he knew led back to the village center. Luca walked quietly against the wall, approaching the center as he saw another shadow go past the window in Giulia's house. Luca stopped as he saw the familiar figure pass.

"Alberto!" he shouted, stepping closer. "Albert- ah!"

Someone's hand had slammed onto Luca's mouth, stopping Luca mid sentence. Ercole took hold of Luca by wrapping his arm around Luca's body and slamming it on the ground in an attempt to disorient him. Luca yelled out and rolled, quickly getting onto his feet, his flower still clutched in his right hand.

"Agh!" Luca cried as he tried running away. Ercole was too quick, and grabbed Luca's ankle, slamming him back onto the stone.

"You're not getting away this time, Piccoletto!" Ercole roared. "Now come on!"

Ercole bent down to pull Luca up by his armpits but Luca fought back. He put a foot up to Ercole's chest and kicked. Ercole fell back as Luca attempted to crawl away, his left hand wrapped around his stomach. Ercole watched as blood dripped from behind Luca's arm, but this didn't stop him. He got up and went back against Luca to grab hold of him. Luca snatched at Ercole's hair as Ercole ripped Luca's hand away from him and threw himself down onto Luca. Luca landed flat on his back in the concrete and screamed.

Ercole stuffed his palm back over Luca's mouth to muffle Luca's cries. The yellow rose had gotten out of his grasp, and slid further down the alley. Ercole, thinking that he had weakened Luca enough, took his hands off of Luca's shoulders. Luca rolled to the right, curling up to hold his stomach as he whimpered quietly.

"Stay still, Piccoletto," Ercole panted as he wiped his mouth. "Or else you'll get worse."

Ercole studied Luca on the ground, who was trying to get up onto an elbow as he held his stomach. Ercole could see through Luca's shirt, which had unbuttoned slightly during the struggle. A large scrape was formed, and droplets of blood oozed out of the many cuts.

Luca coughed, and reached out past him. Ercole saw the rose, too far for Luca to ever reach.

"Just give up, Piccoletto," Ercole bellowed. "Now come on."

Ercole got up and put an arm under Luca to pull him up as well. But Luca turned.

"No!" Luca screamed back, bits of spit flying into Ercole's face. "Let me go!"

Luca reached up with both his hands, and dragged his fingernails down Ercole's face. Ercole yelped and let go of Luca in surprise.

Luca took his chance and stumbled to grab his flower. He reached his arm out before being pulled back by his neck.

Luca looked up, horrified. Ercole's face bore the red marks that slid down his cheeks, some bleeding from the amount of force Luca had used. This, mixed with the shadows dancing from the lighting above gave Ercole a daunting, maniacal look.

"You- ," muttered Ercole. "Are going to regret that. . . Piccoletto."

Luca grabbed at Ercole's arm which was wrapped around his neck, getting tighter and tighter. Luca let out a final breath as tears were being squeezed out of his eyes. Frantically, Luca began scratching at Ercole's arm. Anything to be able to breathe again.

But Luca was too late. He had lost. He took one look at Ercole before Ercole swung back, slamming Luca's body into the ground.

Luca hit and screamed out, finally giving up as he felt Ercole's weight come down over him. Ercole's hands had a firm grasp of Luca's arms pinned over his head on the ground. Luca turned his head, only to get one last look the yellow rose just inches from his face.

"Alberto. . .," Luca said groggily as the world began to spiral around him. "Alberto."

Ercole was left with nothing but Luca's unconscious body.