Photoshoot.

Chapter Five

I did a lot of work in the next week, getting to know the team, one of them sitting on my bed or the other chair in my office as I worked on a new file or piece. Sam and Bucky showed in pairs, Steve seemed to linger. he was quiet, a lot, and seemed to watch me more than talk, he had things to say, I could tell, but he seemed scared to ask or say what he wanted. He showed more when I was in my lab, and today I didn't expect him to show, and I was working on a new laser model in my prototype suit and he happened to walk in as I shot it.

"WOAH!" I looked to see him standing next to the target and I frowned.

"I'm sorry! You're okay right?" I asked and turned. "Twiddle-Dum I said you have eyes on the door, I might as well turn you off!" I growled and saw the bot that looked like Dad's Dum-e look down in shame.

"What is that?" He asked as he moved over.

"This?" I raised my arm that held a bionic glove attached to my arm. "This is a suit prototype. I'm working on its laser right now." I placed my arm on the stand and it opened and I pulled my hand out looking at him.

"Why do you make them? When you've already made a life outside of all this?" He asked suddenly, I looked at him and hummed, then did I notice he held two Coffees, he held them to me.

"Thanks." I smiled up at him, he smiled back and I took a drink. "I think it's because I'm a workaholic." I chuckled. "I love my work, and all the things I do, but something felt missing," I said. "I felt like something wasn't there. When I started my first suit, I felt like I was filling that space, it still lingers sometimes." I said, I remember the first time I got it to work, I squealed and turned to find I was still alone.

"Do you think that space could be a person?" He asked looking down, I looked at him and leaned on my arm as it sat on the countertop.

"I used to think that, but people just end up hurting me," I said. "So it can't be."

"What do you mean?" He asked and I looked at him.

"I tried the whole- fill the space with a person thing," I said. "It ended worse than I thought it could..." I whispered looking down at my arm, as I held the coffee.

"But what if that person just wasn't the right one?" He asked and I looked at my glove model.

"What is the right person?" I mumbled, he stared at me as I nervously look at him.

"Y/N-" he stepped toward me and I didn't expect him to, and couldn't help but flinch. "What was that?" He asked sounding worried.

"Nothing, I was just thinking," I mumbled and he went silent.

"Who was this person?" He asked putting his hand on my wrist, I looked up at him and bit my lip.

"An Ex-Boyfriend," I said and he placed his drink down.

"What did he do that made you think everyone hurts you?" He asked.

"It wasn't just him- he-, he came to me in a bar when I was at one of my lowest, it was my birthday and Dad- Dad didn't even remember. We talked, kept talking, he seemed too good to be true." I said and shook my head. "Cause he wasn't true," I said and he stared at me, nodding along, he was genuinely listening. "I uh-" I looked away even more. "I don't think now is a good time to talk about it," I whispered and he frowned.