"What? Did you forget how your people treat other elves when they want something from them?"

"The Cin are not my people," he snaps. Ah. A second later his words seem to register in his head, because he turns to look down both hallways. Eventually he looks back.

"Are you Cin?"

"Hell no," I reply, my voice scratchy as I laugh and gesture to my battered body. "Does it look like it?"

"What did you do?"

"Just didn't give Elmer the information he wanted."

"Elmer did that?" The boy asks, his voice faint. Like he thinks Elmer is some kind of myth or something. I scrunch my eyebrows.

"Yeah. Why, have you never seen him?"

"No, he likes to keep to himself. Not talk to lowlifes like the guards."

"Oh. Well, since you're here, can I take a shower?"

"I- I don't think I'm allowed to let you out." He sounds conflicted.

"Why not? If I don't clean my cuts they'll get infected and I'll die. I won't run- I can't, really."

The boy hesitates, but eventually gives in and unlocks the cell, the sound of creaking metal ricocheting off the walls.

"I'm gonna need some help," I say, lifting my arms up. The boys face tightens, his lips pressing into a firm line. His face is hard, all planes and angles, like he doesn't eat enough. He probably doesn't.

Crouching over, he grabs my un-injured arm with one hand, putting his other under my armpit, and helps lift me up as I press up with my good leg. It still hurts like a mother, but I try to keep the moaning and groaning to a minimal.

"So, what's your name? Why are you here if you're not Cin?" I ask, deciding to be direct. My bad leg is kinda dragging on the floor, my good leg supporting half of my weight, the boy holding the other half.

"Vyn" he says, almost reluctantly.

"You don't have to feel scared to tell me, or anything. I probably won't survive long enough for it to matter, so..." I didn't mean to get somber so soon, but that's just the mood. We round the corner and take another long, dimly lit hallway. The air smells of damp dirt and, if I focus on it, blood. I try not to focus on it.

"Don't-" he sighs. "Don't say that. I... I was from Fyena, but since they were on the opposing side of the Cin, the city was attacked when I was 10. My parents died, and the Cin took me here. It's where I've been ever since." His voice sounds hollow when he says it, like he's living a nightmare every day, so much that he's just become numb to it. I'm probably not far off, and that's probably because I'm in a similar situation.

"Is Fyena near Bhailewood?" I ask, racking my brain as I try to remember a map of Earthe I studied back when I was still training.

His mouth parts slightly. "Yes. It's the next closest city. About half an hour by horse. Why, is that where you're from?"

I think for a second. I'm not 100% sure I can trust Vyn, maybe he's trying to get some information from me so he can rat me out to Elmer. But the way his face twisted and the sadness in his eyes when he told me his past, it's hard to think that he's not telling the truth. So I stretch mine.

"Yeah. I'm sorry about your family."

Vyn just shrugs. "How'd you end up here?"

"Umm... I just had something Elmer wanted, and got too close to the Cin border. Hey, is there any way you would let me help you get out of here?" I almost laugh at myself at the casualness at which I just proposed an escape.

Vyn stops just short of a door that takes us to the showers, looking me in the eye.

"What? Why would you do that?"

I lower my voice to a whisper. "If you help me get out of here, I'll help you get out, too."

"How would you even do that?"

"I.... Don't know yet. Give me until after my shower. But I've escaped from under Elmer's thumb before, I promise you I can get us both out."

Vyn regards me for a minute- I can almost see the gears in his head turning. Just like me with everyone I meet, he's probably deciding whether to trust me or not.

"Okay," he says eventually. I breathe out a sigh of relief. I'm just going to have to trust him.

I am able to stand relatively well on my own, so I head for the shower door, already running in circles in my head trying to come up with a way to get out.

The showers, which of course don't have hot water, aren't in terrible condition. The stalls are clean-ish, and there is a stiff towel for me when I dry off. I take long time. Probably because the minute the water came running, event though it was a gentle spray, every spot where my skin is cut stung more than I thought possible. I ended up cupping my shaking hands and slowly letting it flow onto my cuts. First my arm, then my face, and lastly my leg. Yes, I did cry, but after probably ten or so minutes I became too tired to cry and resigned to letting out bursts of hard breaths when the water soaked my cuts, making them burn all over again.

And, to add on to this joyful evening, I haven't figured out a way to get us out of here yet.

When I finally dry off I find that someone- Vyn, probably, has layed out a dress and some pants underneath. It's a simple dress, all plain brown with long sleeves and a thick, cottony skirt that slightly resembles a burlap sack, but it's clean. There are also bandages. Thank god.

When I come out of the shower I feel refreshed in a way I haven't in days, and my hair is finally clean, and as combed out as my fingers can get it.

"Thanks for the clothes," I say, gritting my teeth as I try my best not to limp out into the hall.

"Of course," Vyn replies, helping me back to my cell.

Right as I'm settling back into the cell, I feel something hard press into my palm. It's a small, glass jar containing a dark purple substance that looks almost like jam. I glance up at Vyn in question.

"It's a healing balm. It has magic in it, so your cuts should heal completely in a few days to a week."

I gape at him, not sure what to do.

"Where did you get it?"

"Family recipe. Plus, we guards are supposed to keep ourselves healthy, so we have access to the kitchens and medical closet."

"Thank you, I-" I stop as something snaps in my brain. An Idea. My mouth opens in surprise, then curls into a smile. I ignore the pain that throbs at the movement, and lock eyes with Vyn.

"Okay, I have an idea."

Vyn's smile is genuine. "Great, what do I need to do?"

"You're going to need to get me some poison."

—————————————————————————

I've been sitting here thinking of what to put for a caption but I really can't, so... Here's this. I'm bored today so I've just been posting a million chapters HAHA