Whishes On A Falling Star: Part Twelve

"Goodbye Dear, see you this summer." Mrs. Hoffman said pecking Jesse on the cheek and then promptly slammed the door in both of our faces.

"Well..." I exclaimed insulted "your mother is lovely." I was trying not to be sarcastic about it. He snorted and draped his arm around my shoulder as we walked through the squishy half melted slush toward the car. It had been about a week since our very last kiss, that one in the snow, and we were both under strict contact awareness. I couldn't even peck him on the lips or let him interrupt me with a kiss or show how much I love him through a kiss and it was near killing me. Just thinking about it was enough to make me go mad. I reached up to his hand and pulled it off my shoulder. I took to holding it instead, to help us keep just enough distance. He gave me a funny look but didn't complain because apparently he understood. "You excited to go back?" I asked.

"No." he said simply. His answer surprised me. "If I go back how am I supposed to spend all my time with you?" I rolled my eyes; he smirked and kissed the top of my head. I took one last deep breath of fresh sea side air before stepping into the car. I watched as Jesse floated to the spot next to me. I smiled and breathed in his smell instead of the sea air... good substitute. I laid my head on his shoulder and hugged his arm and we sat in silence for a while, just staring outside. "Hey..." he whispered to get my attention.

"Hmm?" I asked completely captivated by the outside world. You'd think having been all over the world I wouldn't be intrigued by such simple sights but, I never really got to see any of that stuff. I just watched it whizz by, spending two seconds in each place.

"I got someone I want to see, real quick, do you mind?"Yeah cause I'm really going to say no?

"Of course not, where you wanna go?"

"Hey Henry" Henry's our driver "Do you know where Happy Hardware is?" Henry only grunted in response, which must have been a yes because Jesse didn't press any further. I watched the world glide by through the deeply tinted windows, as we continued riding in silence. Silence doesn't make me uncomfortable. Maybe it's because I've always been surround by extra loud things and I want a break from it all, but silence was nice. The good thing about Jesse's mind thing is that he knew silence was what I wanted and he kept quiet. You're too good for me. I thought.

It took you long enough to realize it he thought and then chuckled audibly. I stuck my tongue out at him. Now in all seriousness, you, have won a ton of Grammys, toured the world, everyone knows your name and *I'm* too good for *you*? No, it's not even possible.

"Guess what?" he asked putting his lips to my ear.

"What?"

"I want you to meet my best friend... other than you of course."

"Is that where we're going?" I asked confused because I was under the impression we were going to a hardware store.

"His Family owns the Hardware store" he clarified for me. We pulled into a parking lot of a really old looking building. Jesse pulled me gently from the car. There wasn't a car insight, not even at the gas station across the street. The building was a cream yellow colour and badly needed a new coat of paint. For the first time in my life I saw a phone booth. I had never seen one in person. He laughed as my eyes touched everything in sight. "I hate to pull you away from your sightseeing but if we don't keep this visit short we're going to miss our flight."

"Wouldn't that be a shame." I muttered sarcastically.

"Come on." He whispered in my ear making me shutter. I followed the tug of his hand as he dragged me toward the store. He opened the door and a bell jingled above our heads. He waited for me to walk in first before following behind. I smiled; it had always been the little things like holding a door open that impressed me. "I'll be right back." He said and with that he left me to explore the shelves. The whole store smelled like fresh cut wood and the floor was coated in dust. If I ever had the urge to build a house I knew exactly where to come now. A house... a house would be nice. I'd never really thought about it that way. I was always taught relationships are meant to end, but maybe this one doesn't have to...  Maybe we could live happily ever after and we could have kids and I could have a normal life. Just the thought of giving up music sent a shock of melancholy so deep that I revoked the idea immediately. No, I would still sing and write, I just would involve him. Maybe he could learn how to play guitar and play for me or something. I giggled because I could picture him with a guitar strapped around his chest. I kicked up some of the dust off the floor and laughed as in stuck to my jeans making it look as if I had been standing in a mud puddle. I spun around in a quick graceful circle, dancing to the music that wasn't there. I heard Jesse snicker from across the room as he watched me dance.