~44~ You Can Heal Now, It's Okay

Start from the beginning

"She didn't do anything to help us for the past years, nothing. She only started trying for the past month or so, it's not fair." Beth exclaimed. She pushed away from the hug and looked over at her still body on the bed. "Why couldn't she have made an effort earlier? Maybe then she would still be here."

"It's not fair that she is putting me through this. She was barely even there, ya know? What gives her the right to just put me in a position like this? To put us in a position like this? God, George, you just signed the fucking organ donation papers or some shit!"

More tears started to run down Beth's face, snot starting to disgustingly bubble in her nose. "Why couldn't she have been like this earlier?! It's not fair! Not fair!" Beth sniffled, "Why couldn't you be a mum earlier?! I needed you!" Beth abruptly stood up from her chair and paced back and forth through the room.

"I wish that she didn't even try to make an effort at all. What was the point? To get me attached then just leave? Bullshit! It's all bullshit! I needed a mum! I-If you were nicer and more present you would probably be here! You wouldn't be a fucking vegetable, you would be at home watching your stupid crime tv shows and sipping your stupid chamomile mint tea or something!" George just let Beth go on, he let her vent because god knows she needs it.

"You don't have the right to just die like this! You have kids, you have to be a parent until you're all old and wrinkly! It isn't fair that you get to go off easy like this and just leave us here!" Beth continued to throw her hands up in wild gestures, occasionally wiping her nose and eyes.

"Also, why were you such an asshole for years?! Why did you have to just be a complete disappointment of a mum up until 2 months ago?!" Beth pointed a lazy finger at the hospital bed. George pulled his legs up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them.

"It's not fair that I got a taste of an actual mum for only 2 months! God!" Beth huffed in frustration and brought the back of her hand to her mouth to muffle a choked cry. It was good that she was getting out what she had been bottling up for who knows how long.

"I wish that you could have suffered as much as we did but now look at you! You're going to be stripped of your organs for some other person that needs them! Oh my god" Beth groaned out of anger and frustration as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"You shouldn't be the one dying here! You should be at home right now!" Beth brought her hand back up to her mouth and squeezed her eyes shut. She slowly walked over to the foot of the bed and placed her hand on the frame. She blinked and just stared at the body that laid in the bed.

"I'm so mad at you, so, so mad. You deserved a lot of things, but this. This wasn't one of them." Beth said. George just blinked his tears away and wiped them with his hoodie sleeve.

"I- I'm going to just-" Beth turned on her heel and sped walked out the door. George sighed and pulled his legs away from his chest. He grabbed one of his mom's hands and held it.

George sucked in a short breath and exhaled. "She means well. You and Dad put her through shit. She's angry, but Beth has her reasons." George whispered. "You didn't deserve this, I'm sorry mom. I'm so, so sorry." George brought their clasped hands up to his forehead and leaned on them.

"I know you probably can't hear us but just know I do love you. You may have been a shit mom, but you were the only shit mom I had." George let out a soft sob and disconnected their hands before standing up.

"I'll take care of her, mom, I always do. You don't have to worry about us."

-

"How'd it go?" Clay asked, wrapping his arms around George's waist. The other shrugged and leaned his head on Clay's shoulder. "They just took her in for surgery."