Chapter 26

''Can you just tell me, Viv? Please, I'm begging you!'' I was annoyed

''Can you just tell me, Viv? Please, I'm begging you!'' I was annoyed. Incredibly annoyed, to be exact. For the past few hours, as we battled through her boxes full of useless crap, she refused to tell me about her surprise for me. What did she mean- part of the surprise found me? What was the other part?! Ugh, Viv.

''Oh shut up already! You're giving me a headache'' She rolled her eyes before folding another empty box. ''You'll see tonight!'' She added as she ripped open another box.

Goddamn.

''Fine!'' I exclaimed.

''Wear nice underwear'' She snickered under her breath.

''Excuse me?!'' I hissed, appalled by her hint.

''I'm kidding!'' She laughed, almost falling backward. ''Or maybe I'm not. Who knows?'' She sobered up, giving me a shameless wink.

''Viv, you're going to kill me one of these days'' I groaned as I dug through a box full of clothes.

''Well, someone needs to put you out of your misery, I guess'' She sighed, making me gape at her. Hunter was right- she's way crazier than I ever was.

''Very nice of you!'' I smiled fakely.

''I know, I'm a darling!'' She grinned.

***

I stared at my reflection, smoothing the body-hugging dress as I nervously shuffled on the incredibly huge heels. ''I'm going to look ridiculous on that stage!'' I called to Viv, biting my lip.

''Shut your pretty mouth!'' She answered.

Great.

Well, at least I have a pretty mouth.

''What if I fall on these heels?'' I wondered, picturing my plummeting frame in front of hundreds of CEOs and their wives. Yikes.

''Oh my God,'' She groaned as she hurried into the room with murder on her mind. ''Since when are you this pool of self-doubt?'' She grabbed me, turning me around to face her. Her fingers dabbed my makeup, probably blending a spot I missed. ''Did running into your little Diner Boss throw all your growth out the window or something?''

I rolled my eyes, ''He's not a Diner Boss anymore, Viv''.

''Yeah, and you're not a Diner girl anymore but I still call you that'' She shrugged before spraying me with some expensive perfume. ''He'll be there, by the way'' She added nonchalantly.

''WHAT?!''

''Oopsies'' She winced, pursing her lips to hold back a sly smirk.

''So that was your surprise?'' I asked, anxiety rising in the pit of my stomach as I imagined his brown eyes watching me as I made the speech of my life.