Final showdown

Four hours into the night and Dabi could tell that Hawks was already spiraling. The crashes and bangs he heard from next door was beyond his nightmares. Dabi slowly got up, the old couch creaking at the pressure. He rubbed the sleep off his eyes and yawned. This was not a good situation to be in. Toga and Shigaraki were just next door, and they would probably be here in a few minutes.

Walking towards the small room, a flash of red barreled into him before rushing towards the door of the apartment. As Dabi regained his balance, he cursed. Why him out of everyone? The scarred villain ran towards the exit, taking a sharp turn to his right and running up the stairs leading towards the top of the old building.

A few flights of stairs up and he could hear some unnatural noises from above. Dabi quietly asended a few more steps before finally spotting Hawks. The number 2 hero was kneeling on the ground, hands scrapping at the sides of his head. Hawks let out a shrill cry, and at that brief moment Dabi caught a glimps of his eyes. They had a slight tint of danger, showing no signs of even a small trace of the hero left in that empty body. He watched as Hawks got up slowly, shaking ever so slightly, movements ridged. 

"If I were you I wouldn't even try do anyth-," Dabi stopped, tilting his head towards the right.

A sharp red feather sliced through the air, only managing a slight graze on his ears.

"Get out of here. T-Touya, just listen to me for once," Hawks stuttered out.

Before Dabi could make another move, Hawks's arm shot forward, pointing a gun at him. The winged man struggled to force the arm down, turning around once more and running up the stairs. Dabi just stood there for a second, processing everything that just happened. Before giving chase.

It was as if someone was controlling the hero, as if that Everdeen wasn't lying in that letter. Dabi knew the codeword, 'Winter Sparrows', but he would be an idiot if he said it. Something big like this wasn't worth the risk. So who triggered the hero?

Toga would never do it, since she had taken a liking towards the hero, and that wasn't very common, knowing her. No one else knew anything about this, and it wasn't like the hero commission president could do anything about it here. In Dabi's territory. 

The final flight of stairs came into view, the door in front already opened. Dabi ran towards the last stair, bursting into the night. It was a cloudless evening, but the air still stung as it hit him. For a second, everything was still. Then, Dabi saw him. 

In such state of despair.

~Hawks's pov~

He knew he would never win against the president. Still worth a try, but look where it got him. The gun was heavy in his hand, his arms shaking. Not at the weight of the object, but at the unknow force. Hawks needed to get out of here, but Dabi's footsteps echoed on the rooftop of the building. There was a slight breeze as the wind whirled around him. And just stopped. 

Tears were pouring out of his eyes and Hawks sobbed, legs bent, arms lowered down. Strands of hair were blocking his vision, but he could hear Dabi's footsteps getting closer and closer.

The villain tried to grab his arm, but Hawks recoiled at the touch, as if something had burnt him.

"Dabi, it's for your own good." Even Hawks surprised himself with such control over his own voice.

The president was here already, whispering in his ears Hawks could feel a strange aura surround him, guiding his arms up, coaxing him into shooting. 

...

The first bullet missed Dabi, but that enough had already spiraled into his mind. He had tried to kill Dabi. No. That wasn't allowed. How could he let that happen!?

"Hawks, if you would just listen," Dabi begged, desperation thick in his voice.

"No Dabi. You l-listen. I don't have m-much time left."

"I'm s-sorry about this."

His fingers tightened, a mere inch away from the trigger. 

A faint ring blossomed in his ears.

Nothing else could be heard.