Punishment

This chapter contains some negative language so please skip this if necessary. Don't worry my ground potatoes, just block out the haters and just keep swimming, quote Dory :0

Hawks woke up from his previous 'session' with Dabi, drenched in sweat. He couldn't tell if it was sweat that's rolling freely down his back or blood. His back felt empty, and as the realization hit him, Hawks didn't know how to act. Was he suppose to be sad or happy? The hero commission didn't go that far in programming him to feel that. It was like a piece of information was missing from his trainings.

All he was told was to keep going. No matter how hard the situation was, Hawks had to. It was for the people. The normal citizens needed him. It wasn't the best 'getting motivation to get out of bed everyday' but it wasn't like he had another purpose in this life.

Hawks's thoughts were brought back as a familiar sound filled the hallway. Dabi walked into the room, hands in pockets, oblivious to everything in the world. Hawks made no attempt to acknowledge his presence, as the burn marks on his back made movement tediously hard. As Dabi circled behind him, Hawks felt his restraints being loosened, but not before a thick metal collar was placed on his neck. The collar was attached to a chain, which Dabi held tightly in his hands.

"C'mon pretty bird. We're gonna get some food for ya. Don't want our information source dying of hunger."

Fluttering the wing joints still attached to his back, Hawks ignored the pain and stood up to follow Dabi. He couldn't believe it. Dabi had waltzed in so naturally, as if nothing had happened between them. That's what he was scared of the most. When someone kills people without hesitation, with no regret. He silently followed, not wanting new burn marks to add to his collection. The scarred man led him to a spacious room, grabbing some food and then walking out. The realization only hit him later when Hawks was at his destination.

They were in a cramped bathroom, with the wallpaper peeling off at the corners. Marbled cellar spiders could be seen in the corners of the ceiling, the only source of light being a rickety lightbulb forcefully shoved into the ceiling. The light flickered, casting shadows around the room, with the mirror above the sink adding to the creepy aesthetic.

Hawks was handed a small paper bag and a bottle of water. He lifted his arm up to test the weight only to realise that there was nothing in it except for a sandwich. Looking up, he stared at Dabi, waiting for a response.

Dabi just shrugged.

"You look like you need to lose some weight anyways. Doesn't heroes need to be fit or something?"

"Know what, you'll survive with water for a while, pretty bird."

Without another word, Dabi exited the room, taking the paper bag from Hawks's hands, leaving him startled and hungry. Well that kinda hurt more than Hawks expected. A sudden bang in the room next door triggered one of his many memories of his childhood.

As a kid, Hawks didn't grow up in the nicest environment. His father was an alcoholic while his mother worked in clubs, trying to earn enough income only for his father to waste it on more beer. He would often be excluded from his peers, even within the slums. After all, what could a skinny kid like him be use of anything? Maybe it was for the better. His father would always say that he looked pretty and fragile. The rest of his memories were a blur of screaming, crying and mental breakdowns. At least he had his loving father who always hugged him and played with him.

Sometimes he didn't want to play, but Hawks had no choice. It was what his father wanted. So he did what he asked. This did lead to permanent scars, but oh well. Hawks was just doing what his god told him to do. But when he got taken to the hero commission, he was bad. There was just a little thought at the back of his mind, telling him to fight back. 

In the end, he resisted. This wasn't what the hero commission wanted. They were right and he was wrong. Maybe this was another punishment from the Hero commission. They probably wanted to get rid of him, to have him killed. Oh well.