~Chapter 6~

It's dark. Not scary but also not safe. It's getting brighter and I feel the sun on my eyes. I slowly open my eyes and try to get used to the light. When I look around I'm not with Chuck at the tree, I'm in a bed with a warm sheet and soft pillow. I look further around and realize that this is not Minhos room. It looks the same, the only difference is that the new room is clean. Way cleaner than Minhos room. My gaze fall on a chair next to me and there I find a sitting Newt. He smiles at me and I shyly return it. I do not know how I got here and this is a little bit scary. As he could read minds, Newt answers my thoughts. "When the runners got up today in the morning they found you at a tree outside with Chuck. They brought him back to his hammock and you to me. I was already awake so I let you sleep in my bed." I nod and say thanks. "Soo...what is the plan for today?" "Ok, at first we go and eat breakfast. I think your hungry. Then I'll give you the tour and show you everything and everyone. I'll also explain everything and you will test some jobs to find your own. Ok with that Greenie?" "Yeah. Let's go." I stand up and want to leave the room but Newt stops me. "In the box where small clothes for you. You can change and I wait outside. When you ready just come out." I turn around and see a pile of clothes laying on the chair. Newt leaves and closes the door and change into comfortable baggy pants and T-shirt.
Newt and I make our way to the kitchen where we meet Fry and he hands us two plates of eggs and bacon. I thought we would go back to homestead where the tables and chairs were but Newt leads me to a place outside with the same tables and chairs. Maybe they only eat inside if the weather is not good enough. We eat at a table alone until Chuck and Thomas sit next to us. "How was your first night in the Glade?" Thomas asks me. I look to Chuck and he nod like he want me to tell them. "It could have been better. I couldn't sleep and met Chuck and we fell asleep outside." He just nod because his mouth was full of bacon. "What are your jobs?" I ask the guys at the table. "I have no job. I help whenever someone needs help. Thomas is a runner but today he is working in the Glade. And Newt is our second-in-command and sometimes helps in the gardens." Chuck explains. "You are second-in-command?" Newt laughs. "That's why I have my own room. Remember only keeper have one and Alby and me because we are the leaders." "Oh okay." I finish my breakfast and bring Fry my plate. "Have fun today Greenie." "Thanks Fry." With that Newt gives me my tour and explains everything. (I'm too lazy to write everything.) Afterwards he leads me and Thomas to the gardens. Normally is Thomas a runner but they change every day so that they don't have to run two days in a row. I quiet like working in the gardens but I think that something is missing. Like it's not what I'm supposed to do. At lunch we sit at a table with the other track-hoes and I sit next to Zart. We have some fun while he tells storys about the other greenies who failed at working in the gardens. I like him, he is funny and nice. After the break we go one working and Thomas and Newt had a little bit too much fun and now Tommy has a deep cut in his arm. "Bloody hell Tommy!" "Newt we have to get him to the med-shack. Now!" Newt helps Thomas to walk while I'm pressing some random T-shirt on the wound so it wouldn't get infected and he would not loss more blood. When we reached the med-shack, we laid Thomas on one of the beds and Newt looks for Jeff because we were nowhere to be found. Thomas winched in pain and I look around and find a bottle with alkohol I think. I grab a clean towel and start cleaning his wound. After that I took a bandage and put it around Tommys arm. In that moment Newt comes back with Jeff and another guy. "It looks like our little fighter took matters in her own hands." Jeff says proud. "How did you know what to do?" Asks Newt. "I don't know. I saw Thomas in pain and just did something that felt right." "She's good at it. I say let's make her a med-jack. What do you mean Jeff?" The other boy I don't know says. "When she wants she can be. And if Alby says so." I think about it. It always want to help people and I can't see them in pain so maybe be a med-jack is a good idea. "Maybe we can convince Alby to let me be one?" I asks. Newt nod and leave the room. I think he is going to talk to Alby. In spite of my good work, Jeff still look again after Thomas wound to make sure everything is fine. Then he take my arm and we walk to Newt and Alby who are talking outside homestead. "Hey Alby." Jeff says. "Hey Jeff. I heard our Greenie did a great job as med-jack?" Alby response. "Yeah you could say so. She somehow knows what to do and she also wants to be one. So maybe she could skip the other jobs and start from tomorrow morning as a med-jack?" Alby thought about it s little before looking at Newt who nod. "Fine. Starting from tomorrow you are a med-jack. You have the rest of the day off now." He decide. "Thank you Alby." I say. He smiles. "Hey why don't you come with me so we can get to know each other better?" He offers and I happy accept. Jeff goes back to Thomas and Newt to the gardens and Zart. Alby and me go back to homestead and to his room. He has a bigger room than Minho and Newt. Maybe because he is the leader. In his room is a bed, a table with a chair, a closet and two windows. He sits down at the chair and I let myself fall on the bed. Like this we talked for our until we heard Fry shouting dinner time. On the way to the kitchen I think about the last few hours and I think I have a connection with Alby. Like he is some kind of father of me. I can't remember my really father so I'm happy so have someone like him. We take our plates from Frypan and I find Newt and Thomas sitting at a table with some others who I don't know yet. I walk over to them and then I recognize Minho. He is also at the table. I reach the table and sit between Newt and Thomas across from us sits Minho. This is my chance to ask him why he acted so weird yesterday.

After dinner everyone stands up and makes their way over to the bonfire. I see my chance and catch Minhos arm. "Hey Minho. Can we talk?" "Sure. What's up?" "Why did you acted so weird yesterday?" I ask him with no shame. He's surprised at my question. "You know I am a great and fast runner and I was just tired. Sorry." I chuckle. Of coure he has so say that he is fast and great. "It's okay. I was just wondering. Do you want to go to the bonfire?" I ask. "Yeah. Let's go greenie!" I don't believe him, I think something is off about that but I don't want to push it further. We both walk over to the other guys and he goes to Ben. He is also a runner and Minhos best friend. I make my way to the table with the drinks and find Fry, Winston and Zart. I like them all and they are really nice. I sit down on a sidetable and my legs dangle in the air. With the boys I get along really well and we laugh all the time. Somehow the gladers got a radio from W.C.K.D and now we are playing music and singing really load. Fry take my hands in his and spins me in a circle while singing. I laugh and have the best time. After some hours we take our dance party to the fire and jump around the fire and a few gaze from other guys meet us but we don't care. Suddenly I slip in the grass and fall to the ground. I laugh uncontrollably while still laying on the floor. Winston and Zart stand above me and can't hold back their laugh. They help me up and my head feel a bit dizzy. Maybe because I hit my head or from the whole spinning. I decide to call it night and say good night to the guys. I walk over to homestead still giggling and go in Newts room. We decided that I would sleep in his room and he would go to Minho. I close the door behind me and take off my jacket and my shoes. I fall backwards on the bed and drifted to sleep. I wonder how I can go to sleep so easily.

I am sitting at a computer which is infront of me. My nails touching the keyboard. I like the sound of my fingertips on the computer, when they slowly drift over the keyboard. On the monitor are different folders with people. But I can't see clear enough to recognize anyone, I know their faces but don't know their names. I'm sitting on a chair, it's a little bit uncomfortable but I do not care. Even when I don't know what my job is, it's my job to sit on this chair all day and sort out somethings from the folders. My long legs are smooth crossed and my hair is in a high and strong ponytail. Loose strands are perfectly styled back with hairspray. I wear a tight white dress and black high heels. Next to my desk with my computer are white walls and some other computers and monitors. These aren't used and turned off and black. The room is quiet and cold. I'm alone in the room until I hear screaming on the corridor outside the door. I run out as quickly as I could in my high shoes and see some kind of guards in black uniform dragging someone with them. He looks familiar so I press my eyes together and recognize Chuck. I shout that they should let him go but they ignore me. I run over to them and fight for Chuck. They can't take him away. Not Chuckie. I try until one of them hit me across my face and I fall to the ground. Now their way is free and they take him away. They turn the corner and I can only hear Chuck crying. It breaks my heart. Then it's quiet and I know he's gone. I break out in tears. "Noooo! Come back! Don...don't leave m...me. I need you!" I scream out loud.
I jump up when someone shakes my shoulders. I'm panting and breaving heavy. "Hey hey it's okay. I'm here. Your safe. It was just a dream." Says a calm voice. Minho. I lay in his arms and he hugs me tight. I let my head fall back and rest on his chest. I hear his heartbeat and slowly fall back to sleep but I can stop me before falling back. He look at me concerned because I think he saw that I stop myself from going back to sleep. I feel tears in my eyes and look away from him since I don't want him to see me crying. But instead of accepting that, he takes my chin and turns my face so I look directly in his dark eyes. He puts his hands at my cheek and with his thumbs he swipes my tears away. He looks so good in the moonlight. Again he hugs me tight. "What's wrong? Why don't you want to go back to sleep? Wanna talk about your dream?" He asks careful like I could break down every minute. That wasn't quite a lie. I literally could break down in tears and never stop. I shake my head as answer and he hugs me even more tight. "Hey...shhhh...it's okay. I'm here. Go back to sleep." "Can you...can you stay?" I ask shy. I don't know why I said it but I would feel better if he would stay. He lifts me up a little so he could sit on my bed comfortable and lay me in his lap with my legs between his and my head on his chest. He takes my sheet and put it over us so we won't get cold. He strokes my hair and I listen to his heartbeat and slowly fall back to sleep. Before I drift away completely I whisper a quiet "Thank you". I fall back into a darkness but I feel safe and sleep without any dreams. No bad ones but also no good ones. So just a dreamless and peaceful night.