- Chapter 3 - And May Let the Teenaged Years Begin

It was Sunday, April 13, 2011. Only it wasn't the average day. It was Christopher's thirteenth birthday. He had officially became a teenager.

Samantha was aghast at the fact that exactly thirteen years ago, she gave birth to him. It certainly felt much more less than that; cliche as it sounded, it truly felt like yesterday when he was born.

Samantha had forced Christopher to leave their home, for she had been planning a huge birthday surprise for him.

"It's your birthday, honey, please go out and do something," Samantha practically had to beg Christopher. "Go to a friend's house, watch a movie at the theater downtown, do whatever. Just...just live your life. Okay?"

Christopher scoffed, rolled his eyes to practically the back of his head, sighed with annoyance, but agreed reluctantly, "Okay, Mama. Bye. Love you."

Samantha's lips widened, and she revealed her milk white, perfectly straight teeth. The boy finally gets it! She thought to herself. "Thank you," She said gratefully. "Now shoo."

Christopher slid his feet into a pair of sneakers then exited the apartment they still lived in ever since Samantha was pregnant with him. Mama's definirely planning a birthday surprise for me. He thought to himself with an amused smile. Why else would she kick me out of here on my birthday?

Samantha headed into the kitchen, selected all of the ingredients for the triple fudge chocolate cake, and happily baked.

While the cake laid under the hot light in the oven, Samantha headed into her bedroom to wrap his birthday gift (which was a C.D. of the latest album from his favorite band) and gathered all of the birthday party decorations.

Samantha returned to the kitchen, took the cake out of the oven, and set it on the top surface of the counter to let it cool. As the cake cooled, she decorated the kitchen. An hour, she finally finished.

"Christopher is absolutely going to love this," Samantha declared.

That was when Christopher entered the kitchen.

"Surprise!" Samantha cried.

Christopher's mouth turned into a perfect 'o' and his jaw dropped practically to the floor even though he sort of expected it. "Mama, wow, I don't know what to say...thank you!"

Samantha beamed, walked over to him, and gave him a tight squeeze. "Happy birthday, sweetie pie. I love you. Or as you'd say, to the moon, around Mars, back, times ten."

Christopher's guilt conquered him, for his mother looked so eager and excited and proud of herself for throwing this wonderful surprise birthday party.

"Mama, I'm sorry, but I...I met this girl named Lindsay at Baskin Robbins...and, uh, we're going bowling in an hour. I really appreciate all of this, but I just can't. I'm sorry, Mama."

 Samantha's face fell after he finished his apology. "You're...you're actually ditching me after I did all this to you?" Her voice started trembling.

"No, Mama, it's just that --"

"No, it's fine, just go ahead and have fun bowling with that Lindsay girl...just whatever. I don't care, okay?"

"Okay."

Still feeling horribly guilty, Christopher left Samantha alone in the apartment.

Unfortunately, this continued for several days, weeks, months, and even years.