Chapter 29- The Pain of Letting Go

I sat on the steps of the Academy, watching the little clouds of air drift off into nothingness with my every breath. It was a rather cold morning, usual for this time of year and in such proximity to the mountains.

I’d always loved the cold.

It was early morning, so early that the sun was only just starting to peak over the horizon. Not my ideal waking hour I’d admit, but today wasn’t about me. It was about Tristan.

“Hey, Lara.” Claira murmured over the rim of her coffee mug as she took a seat on the stone steps beside me.

“Morning,” I greeted with a small smile, “How are you doing this morning?”

She put down her coffee cup, running her fingers through her brown hair. It was times like these, in the early morning light that I noticed how similar we actually looked.

The same dark brown hair, pale skin and brown eyes. Though I had to admit that she pulled it off better than I did, she was younger than me by a year but her eyes showed a wisdom more advanced than her age.

But, considering the amount she had gone through in her seventeen years, with a pregnancy and everything, it was easy to see how much that’d aged her. She was more mature than I gave her credit for sometimes.

“I’m doing alright I guess, considering the circumstances. I haven’t seen dad in a while and I really miss him. I’m worried more than anything though, once he’s gone then it’s really just me and Tristan.” She admitted, her normally gentle voce hardened with emotion.

I reached over and grabbed her hand, “It’s going to be alright, I’m sure your dad is going to be thrilled to see you. Don’t waste this trip with negative thoughts about what might happen, just make the most of your time with him now.”

She looked up at me with a smile that lit up her whole face. “Thanks, Lara. It really means a lot to me that you’re coming, my cousin really needs you at the moment.”

I smiled, humbled by her words but that quickly turned into a frown as I weighed up what I was about to say. “I just don’t want you to feel like I’m intruding on a family thing, in all honesty I don’t really think I should be there with you guys.”

Claira shook her head, looking at me as if I was insane. “Don’t be silly! I wouldn’t have it any other way, Tristan needs you. You’re the only one that I’ve ever seen be able to get through to him. You’re not intruding, you’re helping him more than you’ll ever know.”

“Thanks Claira, and if there’s any way for me to help you this weekend in any way, let me know.” I said, patting the top of her hand gently.

Right at that moment, a car drove fast down the long gravel driveway and around the fountain which acted like a roundabout in front of the school. My jaw dropped at the sight of the gorgeous shining black soft-top Bentley that pulled up sharply in front of us, leaving a trail of gravel flying in its path.

And when Tristan hopped out of the driver’s seat in a leather jacket and jeans my jaw dropped even further. Guys look so much hotter when they drive a nice car, I thought dreamily.

“Hey girls, ready to hit the road?” He grinned, though it didn’t quite reach his eyes.

He stared at me, stopping only a meter away and regarded me thoughtfully. “Have you got everything you needed?” He asked, walking over to grab the overnight bag out of my hand.

I nodded, biting my lip. Claira raced over to the passenger side, yelling over her shoulder: “I call shotgun!”

I frowned, wanting nothing more than to sit in the front seat of the snazzy car next to the equally snazzy looking driver.