Chapter 16- Blissful Ignorance

Chapter 16: Blissful Ignorance

I was conflicted.

The note said not to tell anyone, and that was what I was planning to do...but was it the right thing to do? Who knows what this mystery person had on me, keeping this information to myself…

I wasn’t so sure about that to be honest.

I hadn’t gotten any sleep after I found that stupid note stuck to my door. How could I? All that was for sure, was that I was now freaked out. I’d seen a shadow of a person watching me… watching my reaction.

And now that seemed to be always on my mind. I’d lain in bed, tossing and turning, watching the shifting shadows that formed in the corners of my room. I don’t know whether it was simply a matter of my emotions influencing my perception, but the more I stared at them, the more they began to alter and almost move.

It was then that I found myself pacing back and forth across my cramped room. I couldn’t sleep, I wouldn’t. Not with my mind playing tricks on me, casting shadows of people that weren’t there.

The continuous and troubled thought kept popping into my head: What was I going to do about it? What could I possibly do?

The answer to that, I wasn’t yet sure of. I wanted so badly to look for the person, to find out who they were and their reason for wanting to blackmail me so seriously. Because honestly, I didn’t have a clue what I’d done, and that bugged me a lot.

Some deep part of me though, was against the idea of finding the identity of the person in question. Something told me that I didn’t want to know, that I didn’t want to find out and most importantly that the consequences for digging for information were going to be severe.

Did I truly want to find out who it was? Or was it better to just play it safe follow the rules and stay out of trouble?

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

With a groan of frustration, I threw my body onto my bed. I was utterly exhausted and still in my close from last night. I lay there, unblinking for a few calm moments, my mind empty of anything to do with my new found stalker.

That was though, before I mistakenly glanced at the clock on my bedside table, a clock that read that it was time to get out of bed. Even though I hadn’t actually slept in the damn thing all night…

Throwing myself into the shower, I closed my eyes and let the hot water and soothing steam refresh me, bringing a slight colour back into my pale face. After basically soaking myself in my favourite Strawberry Body lotion, I stepped out and dried off.

I leaned over the basin and rested my face against the foggy mirror. I was so tired I could have literally fallen asleep right there. If I hadn’t of gotten a glimpse of the horror that was my face in the mirror.

To say I looked terrible would have been an absolute understatement. My face was pale and lined with stress. There were dark blue bags under my eyes that resembled bruises.

I looked like a corpse, and I felt as shitty as one too. A defeated sigh escaped my lips as the awful truth came to mind: Not even makeup would fix my face today.

It took me close to an hour just trying to do my makeup, which resulted in my tube of concealer being thrown aggressively at the mirror so I now had one massive bone-co-loured smudge running down it and the basin.

Stomping angrily out of my room, I almost ran into Rachel who was just exiting hers. With just one glance at my scowl, her eyebrows rose and she winced.