Chapter 3- Early Introdutions

Now edited !

Chapter 3 – Early Introductions

I was sitting on my dorm bed, staring at my schedule for my classes, they weren’t too bad. I had already chosen my subjects a little over a month ago.

It took a lot of bribing, persuading and not to mention threatening on my mom’s part to get me to even consider choosing the subjects at the school I would rather cut my left arm off than go to.

I sighed and lay back on the slightly uncomfortable bed. I hadn’t yet unpacked any of my things, so the bed was just covered in a thin white sheet.  Staring up at the off-white ceiling, I thought about what I was going to do tomorrow.

Andrews had told me to come down to the cafeteria in the morning for breakfast and ­­­then to have a look around at the school. Like that was going to happen. Even though I was a bit curious as to what the rest of the school looked like, I wasn’t too thrilled on the idea of walking around in circles while all the students were out and about.

Groaning in frustration, I sat up and stared at the small grey alarm clock sitting on the scratched wooden bedside table. It was already half past nine. Walking over to one of my suitcases, I lifted the monstrous thing up and sat it on my bed.

I stared at the damn thing for a few moments with my hands on my hips before yanking the zipper open. I forgot how much I had packed. My clothes practically flew out after being released from the confined space of the suitcase.

***

Half an hour later; I find myself sitting on the cream carpet of the dorm room, surrounded by so many piles of clothes and belongings I felt a little claustrophobic.

My little room had started to look a bit more homely. I had replaced the white sheet on the bed with my emerald quilt and my own white sheets and pillows. I had also put up a few photos and memorable items that reminded me of home on the square cork board above the desk. There were also a few knick-knacks here and there, a few of my favourite books and a little frosted glass rose statue that my dad had given me for my tenth birthday.

Apart from that, the majority of my belongings were still at home, packed up in boxes and most likely stuffed under the stairs where my mother wouldn’t have to see the constant reminder that she actually had a daughter. The thought brought a frown upon my face.

“Hello, anyone in there?” A small voice called through the door, accompanied by a hesitant knock. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I stared at the door stupidly. Who could that be?

“Um… can I come in?” The voice called again. That seemed to snap my out of my stupor.

“Uh yeah, the doors open.” I answered back cautiously. I would have opened it, if it not for the fact that I kind of couldn’t move from my spot as it was completely surrounded by my things.

I looked back up at the door as it was slowly pushed open. A blond head poked around and dark blue eyes swept across the room, finally landing on me. The girl smiled brightly and pushed the door open fully. She was wearing a white tank and a pair of floral printed sleep shorts, her blond hair reached to her waist and curled slightly around her petit face. She was quite pretty.

“Hey! You must be the new girl, right? Lara was it?” She asked in a cheery voice. The girl basically oozed happiness from every pore. I liked her immediately.

“Yeah that’s right. You are…?” I replied, trying to be equally cheerful.

“Oh! Sorry, I forgot. I’m Rachel Macintyre. It’s so nice to meet you!” She chirped happily. I just smiled in return and watched as she manoeuvred her way across the room and plonked herself on the bed. She looked around the floor and raised her eyebrows.