Chapter 2 | Milk but no sugar, am I correct?

⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯

It didn't take long for William formally introduced himself to Isabella.

"Professor Marcelle." He spoke to her from behind as she erased the blackboard after her lecture. 

"Yes?" The moment she turned around and saw him, she froze in place. The mysterious Professor who applauded during her first lecture. Up close, Isabella was certain that he was the most attractive man she'd ever seen. 

"You looked somewhat bored here all alone. I thought I might engage you in conversation."

"Why thank you!" she exclaimed. "cleaning boards are too tedious." she sighed. 

"Your lecture was absolutely enlightening. I've never faced biology in such a refreshing perspective." He praised her with a kind smile. 

"I am flattered. May I ask for your name?" 

"William. William James Moriarty. I teach Mathematics here at Durham."

Her hands stopped. "Oh my! You're the Professor Moriarty! I was wishing to make your acquaintance. You see, you are a bit of a legend in higher education." She said with a skip in her voice as she winked playfully at him.

William laughed softly as a spark erupted in his stomach. Really, what...should I do with you sweetheart?

"Oh please," he replied modestly, "That's all in the past. It is time for my students to shine."
"Oh? What a humble response from 'The Scarlet Genius' himself." 
"Hahah. Is that name still going around?!"
"Of course! As I said, you are a legend Professor Moriarty." 

"Please, call me William." he placed his hand on his chest sincerely. 

"If that is the case, please call me Isabella." she replied with the same gesture. 

"I always found it intriguing why they called you the Scarlet Genius. I'm guessing it was derived from your eye color?" 

William chuckled. "Perhaps they wanted to add a dramatic element, but yes, you are correct."

"Certainly..." Isabella replied as a flowery rose color flushed her cheeks.

Her voice was eerily loud in the empty lecture hall. She patted the chalk erasers together to somehow make the situation less awkward. 

"Isabella..." her name rolled off his tongue like fine sugar. "Pardon me for changing the subject so abruptly. I've been quite curious... putting aside how extraordinary you are, it is still quite the surprise that you've made it this far - if you know what I mean."

She widens her eyes in recognition, then immediately lowers her gaze. "I must admit, there were many obstacles..." she mumbles, dusting off the final remnants of chalk board with a few strokes.
"Do you think we could perhaps change the location?" she asked politely, dusting off her skirt apologetically. 

"Of course." William laid out her schedule in his head. It was currently half past one. She wouldn't have another lecture until three, which meant that she had about an hour which she could spare for him until his next lecture at half past two. It was instantaneous, he planned the place the timings, what he would prepare beforehand.
"Is my office alright with you?" He asked.