Chapter 1 | Miss Professor

⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯

Durham University was swarming with unrest. The last time the students received a new Professor, it was THE Professor William James Moriarty. A child prodigy. A mathematical genius. An excellent educator. The forefront of his field AND the prestigious younger brother of an Earl.

The perfect role model for all the students.

William was informed prior that there was a young Biology Professor transferring from Cambridge University. Apparently he had graduated at 18 - not too far behind from William's own record of 16 years old. Williams quickly dug into his background by eavesdropping rumors and conversations, he learned that the new professor is currently performing cutting-edge research in behavioral psychology to medicine. What an astounding range, William thought, skimming through the brief new Professor's transcript that was given out to all associate professors.

Somehow the word had gotten out and the expectations had soared among the students. William remained composed. His relaxed gaze scanned the courtyard as male students scurried to their next lecture.

The branches of Biology and Mathematics weren't as intertwined in theory and practice compared to physics or chemistry. Nonetheless William was keen to see this new Professor for himself.

The first lecture was in the largest hall of the University. Students were already filing into the room. Their clumsy conversations collated into a clouded echo of their voices ricocheted off the high ceiling. The headmaster was seated comfortably in the second row, camouflaging with the students.

William, too walked into the hall and sat himself in the second to last row. Some other professors were already there, sitting in different rows.

The pale student jumped in his seat as William planted himself on the wooden chair.
"Professor Moriarty!!" he exclaimed in a loud whisper.

William silently put his index finger to his lips and smiled politely. Then, guiding his all-seeing gaze towards the front of the classroom. He waited for time to do its magic.

'Let's see what you've got, shall we?'

The door creaks open and a swift shadow enters...

In walks a young woman wearing elegant blouse tucked into a navy pleated skirt which hugged her waist comfortably. Her hair was champagne blond, a few tones darker than William's golden hair. Most of it was clipped up at the back of her head while two long strands of hair dangled gracefully beside her face. Yes her face.

She was unmistakably beautiful to the extent that she looked out of place. A fine lady like her would usually be seen dancing in ballrooms, exchanging drinks with and enticing earls, barons, and counts alike. She reminded William of Irene Adler.

But she was effortlessly appearing at the front of a University lecture hall.

The woman noiselessly placed the stack of books she was carrying onto the podium. Then she looked up at the crowd of male students and the several professors that mingled with them.

"My name is Isabella Louise Marcelle. I will be teaching as the new Professor of Biological Sciences." she speaks, then smiles gently.

The room is silent. Only her voice is like a piercing bullet in the air.

To the male students, often distanced from female company in their dormitories, her voice was like fresh honey on bland toast.

William could not hide his surprise. He felt his gaze trapped on her figure, painfully sensing every second that ticked on his watch.