02 |

Asher must have an entirely different definition of "fun" because Cora doesn't find leaning against the door while knowing that her ex is standing a few feet away, fun. 

More like terrifying, she thinks, listening to her heart pound into the suffocating silence. Ribbons of taro-purple fear slither across her and suddenly, Cora's throat feels tight. I can't face him. 

It's been two weeks since Ryan ended the relationship, and in those fourteen days, Cora felt a watercolor of conflict doused on her. She wasn't sure what she wanted anymore, especially since they'd been together for two years — but now, with anxiety coursing through her blood, Cora knows exactly what she wants. 

I want him gone. Out of my house. I can't talk to him right now. 

Asher glances at Cora, before pointing at the tiny peephole. "So, is it just me?" he whispers. "Or does the intense way Ryan the ex keeps staring at the door make me slightly concerned? It's like there's a gif of me dancing with a llama on there." 

Cora's nails dig into her palm, as she frantically motions for Asher to shush. 

"Cora?" There's a soft knock on the door. "Are you in there?" 

The insides of Cora's body freezes, as she stops breathing for a second. Cora tastes longing and panic, both a mix of too sweet and bitter. There's that feeling of pure dread, one that does a slow tug at her heart. 

She squeezes her eyes shut. Calm. All she can do is act calm and wait for Ryan to leave. 

"I know you're there," Ryan says before he pauses. "I can hear A Million Dreams playing in the background." 

A death glare is sent towards Asher. 

"But it's fine if you don't want to talk to me right now. I completely understand, considering how much of a jerk I acted a few weeks ago." 

Asher perks up. "A jerk?" 

"Yeah, he indirectly called me boring," Cora whispers back. 

"Ouch." 

There's silence, and Cora imagines her ex awkwardly running a hand over his jaw. "I lost my cool and ended up saying things I didn't mean," Ryan continues hesitantly. "I'm sorry. And um, Harper told me what happened last night." 

Harper, you little piece of soon-to-be dead meat. She inwardly curses her older sister, who can't keep secrets. Out of all people, why him? 

"Harper told me that you broke the law three times by breaking into a store and stealing wine." There's an implied question mark behind the words. "Then she said you drank the wine, even though you're technically not twenty-one yet..." 

Cora's face flushes. Ryan naming all the bad things she did last night because of him feels like a slap in the face. Like he's smirking, words dripping with patronization, even though those actions rarely align with Ryan's personality. 

"I'm sorry I caused you a lot of problems." Ryan stumbles on that sentence, the words mumbled and rushed. "If you don't want to see me ever, I understand — but I hope we can still be friends." 

Friends? Her mouth runs dry. 

How can we be friends after being in the process of falling in love for two years? Cora thinks, biting her thumb nail anxiously. How can you want us to be friends when we've touched, kissed, breathed in each other every day? When we've shared our darkest secrets? When we've helped each other overcome our fears? 

How can we, after my world turned shades brighter after seeing you? After you took my hand and told me everything was going to be okay? After we got to the "I'll love you forever and never leave you" stage? After everything— 

Someone cuts off Cora's frantic thought process. 

"This is my favorite part," Asher says excitedly. 

Cora realizes the karaoke is still playing, violins and cellos intertwining together, a crescendo washing over them. The melody dangles through the air, haunting and beautiful. A bell-like sound echoes above the music. 

That's when Asher starts singing with the music. Offbeat. Off tune. At max volume, singing at the top of his lungs. 

She stares at the devil in horror, as Asher starts spewing out random lyrics, completely the opposite of the music. While the music is dramatic and inspiring, Asher sounds like a mix of a tone-deaf person and a squirrel being driven over. 

"Asher," Cora hisses, digging her nails into his arm. "Stop singing. Now." 

"Hello? Cora?" Ryan sounds slightly concerned. "Is that you singing? Are you okay? Or is that just one of those 'Top Ten Worst Singers In America' videos you like?" 

Either Asher seriously can't hear them above his horrible singing skills or he's too into the music and decided to ignore them. After a few seconds of Asher trying to reach the high notes, his voice cracking in the process, Ryan finally talks. 

"Okay, I think I should go now," he says, shuffling around. "Please consider what I said and whenever you're ready, feel free to come talk to me." 

With that, Ryan's footsteps depart away from the door. Cora slumps to the floor, an exhale escaping her lips. "That was a close one," she murmurs, pressing her head against the cool door. 

No thanks to the devil who finally finishes singing A Million Dreams and is now saying how amazing he sounded. "Didn't I sound good?" Asher asks, turning with a bright smile. 

"Sure," Cora says sarcastically. "You sounded so good, I totally didn't want to smack you with the laptop." 

Asher frowns. "I don't know why, but it kind of sounds like you do want to smack me with a laptop." 

"Because I do!" she explodes, seething when he's about to click the next karaoke song. "Just... get away from me, okay? I don't want any of your demon business, so just go to someone who needs your help!" 

"Well, isn't someone upset over their ex visiting them so suddenly?" he drawls, laughing under his breath. "Look, Angel. If I don't help you and you don't help me, I get your soul. Besides, look in the mirror. You've been crying. It looks like you do need help." 

Cora lifts her head slowly, looking at the mirror hanging on the wall. Her light brown locks fall into waves, dark brown eyes with dark circles underneath. He's right. 

She hadn't realized she'd been crying, until he pointed it out, silent tears pouring down her cheeks. 

Author Note: 

we've made it to the second chapter! cheers! okay, so here's another question: what do you think of ryan?