07 |

Cora originally thought she was the one with terrible planning skills, but Asher proves her wrong. 

The smell of sticky candy and warm pretzels fills the mall, as Cora races to catch up. "Asher, I don't mean to doubt your big plan—" 

"Sure you do." Asher smirks, not looking back to see if she's caught up. "You're doubting me so much right now. I can hear it in your voice." 

"Okay, fine," she sighs. "But the thing is, with time ticking and death coming a step closer, your oh-so-amazing plan happens to be going to the closest mall, finding a person, and then start flirting with them?

Asher nods like he doesn't see what's wrong with that. "Fastest way to get someone. Trust me. The other person will know that there's a big 'yes, I want to be in a relationship' sign over your head if you flirt." 

Cora stares at him, aghast. 

"What were you expecting?" asks Asher, starting to stray towards the food court. "A love spell?" He sees Cora's expression and blanches. "You actually thought there was going to be a love spell?" 

She flushes. "Of course not," Cora lies, though that's exactly what she thought. After a second, she continues. "But you are a devil, right? You must have other... magic abilities, other than gaining people's souls for random reasons." 

Asher shrugs, not bothering to confirm or deny anything. Then he points to the front of an ice cream stand, lighting up. "We can begin our flirting practice over there." He wanders in front of the stand, peering at the dessert tubs. "Excuse me, do you happen to have green tea flavored—" 

A scorching look is sent in his direction. 

"We're not here to eat." Cora's eyes narrow. "We're here to find one guy and get this over with." 

"Angel, what am I supposed to do with you?" Asher gazes back, a look of mock infatuation on his face. "With that kind of attitude, you're not going to find someone who you're very deeply and madly in love with. Also, didn't you know that you fall in love faster on a full stomach?" 

Cora frowns. "You completely made up that last part." 

Asher grins widely as if to say: You caught me, but there's nothing you can do. "Oh, and also, can I borrow three dollars?" he asks innocently. 

The urge to smack his head begins to arise and Cora quickly stuffs down the feeling. "Get your own money," she shoots back. 

"But I don't have money." 

"Well, you don't have to have the ice cream!" 

The man working at the ice cream stand looks scared out of his mind like he's approaching a lion's den. "I'm sorry, but if you're not going to buy anything, I'm going to have to ask you two to move aside," he says nervously, before pointing at the line slowly forming. "There are a few people behind you." 

Cora scowls. Asher gives her puppy dog eyes in return. A rash burns across her neck, as she feels the pressing attention everyone's giving her, whispers and murmurs of confusion arising through the mall. She can nearly taste their impatience, shifting from one foot to another for Asher and Cora to either order or move aside. 

She chooses the latter, deciding that if Asher wants to embarrass himself, he shouldn't drag Cora into his childish antics. 

Unfortunately, when Cora leaves the line, Asher immediately starts waving in her direction. "Cora," he yells, and everyone in the line swivels in her direction. "Can you give me money for the ice cream?" 

Cora pretends she's studying the wallpaper. "Such a beautiful design, wouldn't you think?" she murmurs, pointing at the wall. "It's almost like an entirely different planet when I gaze at this gorgeous wall filled with such artful murals." 

There are no murals, the wall is painted a shade of dull white, and there are several interesting-looking things stuck on the wall. 

Cora goes silent, even as the devil persistently starts shouting. "I know you can hear me!" he says, and Cora coughs. "Just give me the money!" 

The old lady next to Cora let out a sympathetic cluck. "Is the loan shark bothering you?" she asks gently. "I can try to tell him to stop contacting you." 

"He's not a loan..." Suddenly, something clicks in Cora's mind, as a small smirk appears on her lips. "Yeah, he's bothering me. He keeps asking for money." 

That part is true. Even Harper, who's normally fine with spending money, said that she had to buy four bottles of juice all in one week because the devil drank so much. 

The lady focuses on Asher, eyes determined. "Honey, stay here for a bit. I'll take care of him." She whips out her purse like she's prepared to use it as a weapon. Then she marches forward, ignoring the protests of the people in line, tapping on Asher's shoulder. "You, young man. I don't know you — but just know that persuading an innocent young woman to lend her your money, before asking her to pay you back with an even bigger amount than she can pay for, and then threatening her, is very wrong." 

Asher looks confused. "I'm just here for the ice cream... I don't know what you're talking about—" 

She scoffs. "So you're going to play innocent, is that it?" The lady digs through the purse and Asher jerks back, as if expecting a knife. Then she smacks ten dollars into his hands. "Buy your ice cream and leave the nice woman alone." 

Asher's eyes light up like a kid before he snatches the money. "Thank you," he says, genuine happiness flashing across his face. He turns towards the man in the ice cream stand, who looks terrified by the whole exchange. "Hi, can I get the... Triple Green Tea Delight with mochi balls and gummy bears? Oh, and can you also add gummy worms?"  

After a few minutes, Asher skips out of the line with a tall ice cream cup, sweetness oozing out of the whole dessert. "Okay," Asher says. "Now we can go find a person to flirt with." 

Author Note: 

so they're on a flirting mission haha. quick question: am i introducing new characters too quickly?