36 |

"I'm going to kill you," the girl declares lowly, gaze turning flinty. "So stop giving me that look. Whatever you say isn't going to stop me from killing either of you." 

Cora hesitates. What she says next will either save them long enough for escape or it'll bring their death a step closer. 

"I had a friend named Kai," Cora says boldly. "You look just like him." 

It's true. Their melty glittering eyes, their predatory smile, and the seductive way they speak — they look exactly the same, save for their hair color and height difference. 

The girl unsheathes a knife and as it glitters under the dim light, Cora tries not to flinch. "Choose your next words very carefully." The girl hisses her words and it sounds like deadly poison, ready to kill at a moment's notice. "Why shouldn't I kill you right now?" 

"Because you're looking for Kai and I know where he is." 

The words fly out of Cora's mouth without hesitation. Granted, Kai is underneath a bridge and dead, but still. Cora will do anything if it means she has a chance to get to her sister. 

"That's where you're wrong, sweetheart." Something metallic presses against Cora's throat, pain digging into her windpipe. "I don't know anyone named Kai." 

The knife digs deeper and Cora gasps. She imagines ruby-red blood slowly dripping down, dripping from her neck before slipping down. If she doesn't think of something clever, she'll be killed in a matter of seconds. 

Cora frantically struggles, trying to gasp for air as pain and fear ignite through her every nerve. Her body becomes consumed in flames, vivid red and blazing orange and too-bright hints of white, and her vision darken a touch. 

"Stop—" 

"I'm part of the competition, so why should I stop?" The girl's eyes are intense, almost burning, as she presses the knife deeper. Unlike Brielle, who would've smiled cruelly, the girl looks somber. "Killing is allowed, yeah? So I'll kill you and everyone else in this wretched place and I'll win this whole damn game and get the prize." 

Cora is choking now, pleading without words as metallic blood burbles on her lips. Her thoughts are slow and barely coherent, movements growing slack until— 

"You want to win to find Kai!

As the piercing words slice through the air, the grip on the knife loosens and Cora slumps to the floor, gasping for air. Everything feels too tight — her throat, her heart, her fingers. All except for her emotions, which swell out like a jellyfish swimming. 

"Jeez." The girl rubs her ears, grimacing. "You scream loudly." 

Cora is finally able to catch her breath, blood and sweat dripping down. She pants softly before glaring up. "Listen to me." Her words are steel, even after almost getting killed. "Let's make a truce, okay? I know you're trying to find Kai and I can help you.

The girl stares at Cora. Then she tilts her head. "You know where he is?" 

"Yes." 

Dead, but Cora decides to leave that part out. Based on the girl's expression, she doesn't know the truth.  "If we work together, we can get to the finish line faster," Cora reasons. "We already have one key item and you seem like you're good at... killing. After that, if you help us win, we'll take you to Kai." 

"You could be lying about knowing him." the girl argues, though her grip on the knife is relaxing. "Besides, if I win, I could earn an audience with the VIPs who are rumored to be extremely powerful. I could just ask them where Kai is. So why in the world should I team up with you?" 

"All devils leave traces of themselves whenever they interact with humans." A dry voice cuts in, as the body beside Cora shifts. Asher nods at Cora, lips curling into a tired smile. "Check her." 

Relief flows through Cora's blood, heart leaping, as she resists the urge to smother him in a hug. Which she can't do either, because her hands are still tied. 

The girl sighs reluctantly, before gently touching Cora's head. Cora watches in fascination as multi-colored shards suddenly appear: red, black, and then silver. 

"So?" The girl makes a sound of frustration. "You know him. Why should I team up with you?" 

"Because it's faster," Asher says, examining her with interest. "Because — what's your name again? — you're getting anxious. Kai hasn't come home in a few days, so of course his younger sister would be worried. Teaming up with us would be faster and efficient. Plus, you never know if those VIPs would even grant you your wish to find Kai, being those cruel bastards they are." 

She clenches her teeth. "How powerful are you?" 

"Powerful enough to bring your brother back to you." 

The girl hesitates. Then in a motion so fast it blurs, she uses the knife to cut through the ropes. "Yuna," the girl mumbles. "That's my name. And fine. We'll work together, but we need to shake on a contract." 

Asher nods. "Of course." 

Yuna whips out a piece of paper made of silver shards, before swiping a few letters. "Terms of agreement: I'll help you two win to the best of my abilities and you will take me to my unharmed brother, Kai." 

She lifts her hand, cocking her eyebrow in question. When Asher's hand meets hers, the paper seems to hum with energy. "Okay," Yuna says, satisfied. "Let's go win, I guess." 

Asher turns to Cora, eyes softening in relief. "You're not hurt, are you?" he murmurs. "I'm sorry I couldn't catch you." 

Cora's heart leaps, before she shakes her head. "The roots caught me in time. What about you? Are you hurt?" 

"He should be fine," Yuna interrupts, tying her multi-colored hair into a loose bun, looking even more radiant. "I made his landing as soft as possible, so he shouldn't be a baby about it." 

Asher frowns. "I'm not being a baby because I hadn't even answered yet." 

"I could see it on your face, sweetheart." Yuna shakes her head, a teasing smile on her lips. "You were so going to say it hurt." 

"Was not!" 

As the two trudged ahead, still arguing, a churning feeling settled in Cora's stomach. Doubt sinks through her, as a question pops into mind: was bringing Yuna along a good move? 

Author Note: 

based on all this, how would you describe yuna's personality?