Chapter Ten: Newt

I started to blink back my tears, and tried to focus on the three girls surrounding me. I tried to focus on the fact that cranks were in WICKED, Pearl now had the virus, and we were running out of time. But my stubborn mind kept drifting back to Thomas's eyes, his laugh, and how he was still alive. "Okay?" Roxxy said, with Scarlett and Pearl nodding.

"Sorry, what?" I asked, attempting to snap out of the trance I was in.

Roxxy groaned, "You two go on ahead." Scarlett grabbed Pearl's hand, and stuck the gun out in front of them. Roxxy threw me the pink purse- why am I always the one stuck with the pink purse?- and grabbed the beige backpack on the ground. "As I was saying before you zoned out, Pearl and Scar are going to go get some medicine that will slow the flare. We are going to go get a berg, so we can escape this hell." She was still going around the room, looking under chairs and in desks. "Do you see anything useful?" Roxxy asked. I scanned the area, trying to see anything that could be used as a weapon. A glimmer of silver caught my eye, and I ran to it.

"Yep!" I shouted out. I grabbed the launcher, which was my favorite type of gun. It didn't kill, but it hurt like hell.

Grinning, Roxxy said "Awesome. Let's go." She gestured for me to follow her, and turned down the hallway. I kept my eyes to the floor, hoping that I won't see any more tortured kids. Because it's been long enough that they'd be dead. We stayed quiet, trying not to attract any attention. The familiar growls echoed throughout the building, making me want to throw up. Roxxy and I did this for hours- or maybe minutes, WICKED always had a way of making me confused. Everything in this place was a harsh white, as if they were trying to erase any traces of darkness. But the lights didn't work anymore, so the only brightness came from the sun. I don't want to be here when it sets, because we'll be alone with the cranks in the dark. "We're here!" Roxxy beamed. In front of us was a large plane, bigger than the glade.

"Do you know how to fly it?" I asked, and a look of worry flashed across her face.

"Well... no." She said, reaching towards a latch. "But it should be on autopilot, and we can put in the address. The land of the munies, where vials of the cure will be as common as cranks are here." She said wistfully. Roxxy yanked the door down, which pulled down a ladder. She disappeared into the plane, and I was going to follow her when a door caught my eye. When we had left before, that was the same door we went through. It was filled with guns and launchers.

"I'll be back in a second." I shouted up to her, and ran from the berg before Roxxy could call after me. I shook the handle, and it creaked open. I guess after everyone turned into a crank, keeping the guns safe wasn't a top priority. Holding the launcher up in front of me, I ran my hand over the walls looking for a light switch. The cool plastic hit my fingertips, the pain flew up my hand. I keep forgetting about this stupid bandage. But of course, the lights didn't actually work so the room stayed pitch black. I swung the door open the whole way, so I could see the room better. There were rows and rows of weapons, a perfect hiding place for a crank. I inched forward, and nothing jumped out at me. I lowered my launcher, and grabbed as many guns as my pink purse could carry. Just as I was leaving, a low growl came from behind me. I spun around, pulling the trigger without seeing my target. I hear another painful groan before I see what I hit. A crank lays on the floor, blood dripping from his forehead. He was reaching out, maybe to attack me.

"Newt!" Roxxy shouted, "Get over here!" Fumbling with all of the guns in my arms, I sprinted as well as I could. I handed her the guns, and she gleefully took them into the berg. I climbed up the ladder, and tried not to gasp when I saw the plane. It was huge- and somehow it looked even bigger on the inside. There were thick (hopefully bulletproof) windows, and a big, round table. Six seats were bolted to the floor surrounding it, and I can imagine Thomas, Minho, and all the other gladers sitting around it for gatherings. This place was going to be an amazing home.