Chapter Four: Newt

"Okay. We only have a couple vials of the cure, and I think that we should all give ourselves the virus and then cure it." Roxxy said, daring any of us to speak.

"Are you crazy? Let's save it for people who actually need it!" Scarlett retorted. Roxxy rolled her eyes, but didn't speak. "Pearl, how many do we actually have?" She asked, turning to the other girl. Nervously glancing around, she- Pearl, held up one finger. "Great." She muttered under her breath, and started to pace around the room.

"I think that Scarlett should get the cure. Newt was all up in her face when he was still a crank, and tried to strangle her. She might already be turned." Roxxy said, looking straight at me.

"Sorry..." I mumbled, looking down at the ground. Shame slithered around inside of me, something that will never truly go away.

"It's fine. But I don't want to only cure, who knows the next time we'll find someone who's immune!" Scarlett exclaimed. Roxxy, who had stopped listening to the conversation, was trying to get the black slop off of her shirt.

"Ugh, you're crank-ness ruined my favorite ship. I mean shirt." She mumbled, standing up from the pile of glass she sat on. "Pearl, what do you think?" She was nervously wringing her hands together, and trying to look anywhere but me.

"Scarlett should get the cure." She commanded, causing Scarlett to groan and Roxxy to smirk.

"Perfect. That's three to one. I'll take Newt and bandage him up. No offence, but you look like you went through a tornado." Roxxy said, looking me up and down. My clothes were muddy, bloody, and ripped, and were getting more soaked by the minute. Blood seeped from my hands, punctured by glass. I can only assume the horrors my face held, after the flare, falling on the dirt two times in one day, and ramming it into glass after getting shot. "I'm going to change, and Pearl can help Scarlett take the shot."

"No! And besides, Newt didn't vote with you." Everyone's eyes snapped to me, glaring into me. "What do you think?" Scarlett said, eye's big with desperation.

"I..." I trailed off. Roxxy looked at me, nodding her head vigorously. Fear traced her face, but was obviously hell bent on getting Scarlett the same safety I had. Pearl looked up from the spot on the floor she was staring at, and she had no fear. Her coal black hair was tangled, blood dripping off of her lip. Roxxy and Scarlett were so focused on me, that they didn't notice when Pearl gave me a short, sharp, nod. "I think that Scarlett should get the cure." Scarlett buried her head in her hands, and Roxxy just laughed. She stood up, careful of her disgusting shirt.

"Meet back here in thirty minutes?" Pearl asked, and Roxxy cheerfully voiced her agreement. She ran out of the room, gagging at the smell of her shirt. Scarlett followed her, head held low. Pearl cautiously approached me, lips slightly trembling."Can you move?" I quickly moved to the side, and she moved to the drawers behind me.

"I'm really sorry that I kicked you. I wasn't... myself." I blurted out, making her flinch.

"It's okay. Not your fault." She mumbled, cheeks flushing. "And that's not why... never mind."

Earlier, I didn't know if I thought they were keeping something from me because of the flare or because it was true. Now things are a little more clear. "It's okay, you can tell me." The pain from my hands was increasing, but I'm sure that it could wait for one moment longer.

"It's really nothing." Pearl rummaged around the drawers, pulling syringes out. She grabbed a maroon vile of liquid, and put a tiny drop of it under a microscope.

She looked through the lens, ignoring me."Please?" I begged, and she finally turned around.

"Okay... we knew each other in WICKED before you went to the maze. It's just weird to see you again." So darkness inside me had been right about something after all. "It's like... you're a totally different person, with a different personality, name, and more. The only things that didn't change is your appearance and Thomas." Thomas's face came rushing back to me, just thinking about him made my cheeks burn. "I was the only one who knew about Thomas's feelings, but not the only one that suspected. When you went in the maze, I wanted you guys to find each other again, but you found a way out before you could. I bet if you had one more week, you would have been the Gladers power couple." She chuckled softly.