Chapter Nine: Thomas

(a/n hiiii. So this is the shortest chapter ever, but I wasn't sure what they were gonna do. Anyway, the next part should come out soon! )

"Our names? Thomas, what do you mea-" Minho started, but before he finished his sentence, he took a sharp breath. His eyes started to mist over, but I wasn't really paying attention because Newt's face started to flash through my mind. But he wasn't in the maze, or a crank, or in the scorch. He couldn't have been more than 13 years old, and we were both running around a building with bright white hallways. WICKED. Minho, Alby and Teresa were all there too. But I couldn't keep my eyes off Newt, who was smiling. He looked so young and innocent, and all I wanted to do was spend more time with him. I had countless others, like Minho and Gally trying to escape. Watching WICKED torture them, watching them in the maze, watching Newt try to take his own life. Not being able to do anything. Then the flare outbreak in WICKED, Ava Paige forcing Aris, Rachel, Teresa and I to kill. We killed people. And then I tried to get them out of the Maze, and WICKED betrayed me. They stole my memories, but I don't think they took Aris and Teresa. They were always more loyal.

"Aris..." I mumbled, and threw the blankets off of me and got out of bed. No one seemed like they were in a rush to stop me, because they were all crying and remembering their lives. I don't know if they are tears of joy, but based on the world so far, I bet they aren't. I ran through the med bay, looking for his traitorous face. But everyone was too dumbfounded to help me. Well, everyone except Brenda.

"Thomas, I think he's over here." She called out, dragging me to the main tent. It's weird to remember that she still has all of her memories. She was right, as always. Aris was sitting perfectly still, silent tears running down his face.

"Did you get your memories back?" I asked, and he shook his head. His hands were tightly holding a bright blue scarf, which he probably found in one of the trunks. He didn't respond, just gripped the cloth tighter.

"This was Rachel's." He stated, looking up at the two of us. "She loved it, wore it everywhere." Does he know that Rachel was a murderer? That he is too? "But she took it off when we had to terminate the infected." Terminate. A word for death that is used when you want to be professional. I hate it. "I knew. And I did nothing." His quiet tears had turned into loud sobs, which shook his whole body. Brenda sat down next to him, and awkwardly patted him on the back. I tried to hold onto my anger, but he reminded me of Teresa. Even though she hurt me, she only ever did what she thought was best. I can still see her broken, bloody body as I ran away from her. I've felt everything that he has, but most of all, the guilt from being alive. "What can I do now?" He sobbed, burring his head into Brenda's shoulder. She whispered to him, which made him calm down a little. I didn't hear what she said, and I didn't really care.

"Did Teresa have her memories when she was in the maze?" I asked, trying to sound supportive. Even though I feel anything but.

Looking up, he uttered "Yes." I should feel shocked, but she always wanted to find the cure. Means to an end. But even though I wasn't alarmed, I still felt like my stomach was doing twists and turns. I ran out of the tent and went back to the beach. I sat down on the sand, and looked at the horizon. Maybe in another world, Newt could be sitting here next to me.