Chapter Seven: Thomas

Chaos erupted. Kids were murmuring, talking, and shouting. I walked out of the tent, and walked back to the gardens.Everyone was in the main tent, sounds of the arguments echoing throughout the island. We still hadn't explored it all, and the people who did were kind of like the new runners. But Newt used to be a runner, and Newt tried to kill himself. I didn't feel the same pull towards them as I did before, but for all I know is that WICKED made me. I pushed the thoughts of WICKED away, and instead remembered Newt. He would have loved it here. The wildlife, the oceans, the nature. He would have loved it all. I sat down on the damp grass, and I pictured his face. Flashes of Newt's face went through me, bringing back bursts of happiness. But I remembered the last time I saw him, where he was bruised, broken, and bloody. I looked around at the garden, blinking back tears. I wonder if he felt pain, or if he was so far past gone he just felt numb. Did he struggle? Was there a chance that I missed him, and that he was so shocked that I would shoot him that he didn't call out to me? If I had opened my eyes I would have seen his body, and I wouldn't be wrecked with all of these questions. But if I had seen his cold, lifeless body, my nightmares would be haunted by it. I hadn't realized that I was lost in my own thoughts until someone else's started to echo in my head. The voice was deep, but still had enough innocence that told me they were young. Stephan. The word started ringing around in my ears, getting louder with each chant. Stephan. Stephan. Stephan. It felt like someone inside of my skull, and just screaming their heart out. Stephan. STEPHAN! It was even louder than before, and now it was ear shattering. I let out a scream of pain, and suddenly someone's arms were wrapped around me. They were holding me tight, telling me that I was going to be okay. But it was too much, and black started to leak into my vision until it was all I could see. That's when I passed out.

"Thomas, come with me." A man in bright green scrubs said, looking irritated. Thoughts that weren't mine bounced inside my head, Stephan, Stephen,Stephen. My name is Stephen. "Thomas, get up." He shouted, but I didn't move a muscle.

"Don't call me that." I spat at the man, closing my eyes tightly. Maybe if I couldn't see him, he would go away. Maybe it would all go away. "It's not the name my mom and dad gave me." I said the words, but no faces appeared with them. What in the world was I dreaming of?

"Now tell me, are you talking about the dad who went crazy and almost killed your mother? Or the mom who gave you away." He roared, slamming his fists down on the table. So this was WICKED. The way they could be so casually cruel gave it away. But his words stuck with me. My mom wanted to give me away? "Your name is Thomas. I'm sorry, but we don't have time for this nonsense." Too bad you don't have time for it. But I'm never going to give up my name. The thoughts intruded my mind again, and they were so naive. He took out a long syringe, but before he could do anything, my entire scenery changed. I could see Newt's smiling face, and it was like the sun had come out of the clouds. (a/n wow that is so cheesy. Who wrote this??? Oh wait.) He was talking to me, but I couldn't make out the words. I tried to reach out to him, but he was too far away. Newt looked at me, and had a quizzical look on his face. He kept trying to call out to me, but I couldn't hear him. It was like he was talking to me through a wall of water, keeping us apart. But soon his face started to dissolve, and was replaced by another version of himself. A layer of hate fell over his face, and black blood dripped down his cheeks. His lips kept mouthing one word, over and over again. Tommy. He tried to reach out to me, to hurt me or help me, I don't know. But the moment his hand touched mine, it started to flake away. His hand was almost fully gone when he pulled away from me, but it was too late. His body was disintegrating at such a fast pace, it had already gone up to his shoulder.

"Newt!" I called out, trying to reach him again. He looked up at me, and tears slipped down his face before he disappeared. "Not again, Newt!" I shouted, hopelessly reaching out to the remains of empty space. Light started to flood my vision, and before I knew what was happening, people and sounds were everywhere. Brenda was leaning over me, and Minho was shouting orders. Around me was mayhem, people screaming out in pain.

"He's awake!" Brenda said, and Minho whipped his head around. He ran to the side of my bed, and had a worried look I'd never seen before.

"Thomas, you scared the clunk out of me. Outta nowhere, you start screaming about some Stephan guy and Newt, and then you go on and pass out!" Minho said, and hit me on the shoulder. "Glad you're immune, or I would have thought you were going full crank on us." He had no idea what full crank even looked like. He would never know that Newt had been 'full crank', and had no idea that he'd begged for death.

"Yeah... Good that." I managed to squeeze out, but not without earning a strange look from Brenda.

"Now everyone's saying people's names, and then passing out. The med bays never been this full." She said, and that's when I really looked around. Kids were in the bunks, either calling out names with a frantic look on their face, or rolling around in the beds.

"Those are our names. The ones that WICKED stole from us." The words came flowing out of my mouth, like they weren't my own. But somewhere, deep inside me, I knew they were true.