Thirty: "What's it like waking up and being hot every day" - November 29

Lilac was tired.

She'd just come out of a four-hour computer science exam, one of the most brutal she'd ever undertaken. She was fully confident that she had passed, so that wasn't the issue. It was just one of those exams that seemed to have more questions than possible answers. Her brain felt like it had jumped out of her skull and fried itself on the floor of the hot exam room when she finally turned it in. The GTA who was accepting the tests gave her a knowing, apologetic smile as he checked her ID, and as soon as she was cleared to go, Lilac slung her backpack over one shoulder and dragged herself to the outdoors.

She stretched as she walked out of the building into the 6 p.m. sunset, standing still as she stepped outside. She wrapped herself a little tighter in her coat as she pulled her phone from her pocket to call Andi; it wasn't too cold, but it definitely wasn't warm, either.

"Report?" Andi asked as soon as she answered the phone. It had barely even rung once before she'd picked up.

"Ugh," Was Lilac's response, and Andi hummed appreciatively.

"Brain off?" She asked understandingly. Andi had had an exam just yesterday, and she reported to Lilac with a nearly identical answer after a three-hour test.

"Brain gone, on the floor, fried with paprika and olive oil," Lilac sighed, her mind in shambles from even having to think of that sentence at all.

"Are you okay, though? For real," Andi said, a bit worried. She could hear the tiredness in her roommate's voice.

"I am. I just need a hug and a milkshake," Lilac said, heading as she spoke to the famous shake shop on campus.

"You headed to Amoses?" Andi asked. "Ooh, lucky." Everybody at school knew about Amoses. It was one of those family-style places that only had two locations, and one of them somehow ended up on a college campus. Anyone who came to visit or tour the grounds assumed that it was a lesser version of its off-campus partner, but students always set them straight. The quality of the milkshakes and the interesting variety of flavors made Amoses the most well-known dessert shop in about a fifty mile radius.

"I feel like I deserve it after that exam," Lilac said, and Andi had to agree. "I'll grab you an Apple-Pieberry?" Lilac asked, offering Andi her favorite specialty shake.

"I would die for a Pieberry right now," Andi gushed, "I already love you forever but I will love you for forever and an extra day for one." Lilac grinned, tiredly chuckling into the phone.

"Done," Lilac promised. "I'm getting a Mint Cookie Crush, coming home, and then I'm getting into bed and not getting out unless the fire alarm goes off." Andi chuckled, keeping Lilac company for a few more minutes until she arrived at the shop. Once Lilac hung up the phone she greeted Logan, a friend of hers and a graduate student who had TAed about six of her classes.

"Hey Logan," Lilac said as she walked into the shop.

"Ello, shortstop," He greeted her cheerfully, "Fancy seeing you here."

"Fancy indeed, it's been a little bit," Lilac said, not even acknowledging the nickname. He'd been calling her 'shortstop' as a joke since her sophomore year, since he managed to be over a foot taller than her despite her rather tall stature (he was also a baseball kid, so it made sense). "Andi says hi, by the way." Logan grinned a lopsided grin.

"Tell her I said hey," He asked, and Lilac promised she would. "D'you want the usual?"

"Yes please," Lilac confirmed, "And a Pieberry for Andi." Logan nodded, heading back to make their shakes. In the meantime, Lilac sat down at one of the tables in the otherwise empty shop. She'd completely forgotten that it was nearing half-past 6 during exam week at the end of November- it shouldn't have surprised her that no one else was here.