Thirty Three: "All that really mattered" - December 11

Lilac was running. Of her own accord.

She was running home from a meeting with her professor, the one who had graded her final coding project. He was meeting with every student to discuss grades and reasoning behind them; if undergrad students had to do dissertations, this would be the equivalent of that for a coding student.

Lilac had expected to do well- she'd put her entire back into that project. Hours and hours of blood, sweat, and extremely angry tears had gone into debugging, UI design, and double check after functionality double check to ensure that her app was working properly. She knew all of this going in, Lilac knew and remembered all the work she'd put in that semester to make something she was proud of. She expected to do well.

She did not expect to get a 100% on it.

Her professor had told her it was one of the best, most meticulously planned projects he'd ever seen. The coding, he said, was excellent, the API documentation was well-written and simple but thorough, and the amount of time she'd put into quality assurance was clear. That was what he said, word for word, and Lilac relayed every single bit of it to Andi as soon as she busted the door of their dorm room down. She had already called her family to tell them the good news on the way, and now it was time to inform her friends.

"Lilac, I knew you could do it!" Andi cheered. "Now we can really celebrate!" Andi had confirmed her own graduation grades a few days prior, so they could collectively relax now; their semesters were over. Andi had already been focusing more on being able to stream, edit, and put out videos, and now, Lilac could, too.

"We should go get dinner later," Lilac suggested, putting her backpack down by her desk and sitting down. "Like, real dinner. I'm not in the mood for dining hall food."

"Agreed," Andi nodded. The two girls chatted for a few more minutes before Lilac turned to her computer and pulled up Discord.

"I've gotta call Sap," Lilac told her, and Andi nodded.

"Sure thing, go for it," She said, "Don't worry about headphones, either." Lilac thanked Andi as she called Sap, who immediately answered.

"Guess who's graduating? I am, it's all finalized!" Lilac cheered the moment he picked up, skipping the pleasantries. She leaned back in her chair, watching with a smile as Sap's face it up.

"You got the final project back?" He asked, and Lilac nodded.

"Hundred percent."

"Lilac, that's awesome!" He exclaimed. "So when am I coming up?"

"That's what I was calling to ask, I didn't know if you wanted to come, or had time in your schedule-" Sap cut her off with a look.

"Lilac, of course I'm coming. My parents would kill me if I didn't go. Your parents would kill me if I didn't go. I would kill me if I didn't go. Clay would kill me if I didn't go, and he wants to come too, if that's okay." Across the room, Andi spoke up.

"Andi would kill you if you didn't come up here, too!" Lilac was giggling, which was Sap's goal. He knew she was overthinking something so simple and just had to help her see it.

"Thanks, guys," Lilac said, feeling appreciated. "The actual graduation day is the 20th, but my family's coming up to stay in a hotel on the 18th and already offered to let you stay with them. And of course Clay can come! When I told my mom you were coming, she asked about Clay and George. All three of you are welcome to attend with them, if you wish."

"I wanna come!" Lilac heard muffled speech from somewhere in the same room as Sapnap. Sap giggled, looking to his left and putting the phone on speaker.