Ch 6: I Got a Job. Then I Brought a Strange Girl Home

Robin POV

Eleven months had passed in a flash and the knight training program was over. On the last day everyone was going to receive some kind of diploma to prove that they completed the camp but I had left the day before.

Everyone was disappointed that 'Richard' had left but time went on. I ended up being constantly grouped up with Victor, Neville, and Oscar so I wasn't all that bored. Micheal kept his promise and I got the experience of fighting monsters and exploring dungeons. Everything I wanted was acquired, so the diploma was pointless to me. The same goes for the manner training, I skipped those classes as well.

Now I had a few months on this island to do whatever I wanted. Robert would pick me up after that time, or so he had said when he suddenly texted me. All I had on me was my wallet and a backpack full of stuff. All I had on me was cash because I didn't think that I'd be spending much of any at all. It didn't help that there are no ATMs in this world so I have to get a job.

It was the afternoon at the moment and the streets were bustling with people. Even after all these years I'm still getting used being in crowds. I hear my stomach growl and I decided to put my job hunt on hold.

A clean, slightly sweet smell hits my nostrils, it smelt really good, alluring almost. I follow my nose to the source find myself at a small bakery on the corner of the street. With the sign saying the place was open, I enter the building.

???: "Hello there, could I get you something?" Says a thin old lady at the register as I walk in.

She sat behind the desk and looked to have been prepared for someone to walk in.

She is also one of the very few people who didn't look at me questionably when they first see me with my scarf.

Robin: "A good smell caught my nose and led me here, can I get whatever that was?" I ask flatly.

I see a spark in her eyes for a moment and she smiles sweetly at me.

???: "You'll have to be more specific deary, pick whichever catches your eye." She says as she gestures to the trays of a wide assortment of breads behind the glass on each side of her.

No piece of bread was the same, from the size, to the shape, to the colour, everything was different and all of them looked unique. Yet the one that caught my eye was a plain loaf of bread.

???: "Would you like a drink with that?" She suddenly says. It seems she saw what caught my eye.

Robin: "Do you have coffee?"

???: "I'll bring it with your bread. Go have a seat." She says with a smile.

She didn't ask me how I take my coffee but I had a feeling she knew what I liked. I take off my bag and I place it beside me as I sit down on a chair in front of a small round table.

Soon after she places a plate with three slices of perfectly toasted bread, a mug of coffee, a butter knife, and a small cup with butter in it.

Robin: "Thank you ma'am. How much do I owe you?" I ask as I pull out my wallet.

???: "It's on the house deary, don't worry about it." She says with a elderly giggle as she walks back behind the register.

She reminded me back when Robert bought me that sleeping bag. But I was still a kid at the time, now I'm a sixteen year old teenager. I was grateful but I couldn't help but wonder why she'd give this to me for free.