Epilogue

"Hey daddy! Come outside, I want to show you something!" Johnny yelled.

"Hold on a minute, he's putting up the horses," Estelle told him gently. "But he'll be over in a minute."

"But mommy, I don't know if it'll wait that long!" He pouted impatiently.

"What did you want to show me?" Dallas asked, walking into the small farmhouse.

"Come on, I'll show you!" Johnny said excitedly, grabbing him by the hand and leading him out the front door.

Estelle watched in amusement as the four year old dragged his father outside, so excited to share something with his father.

"What is it you wanna show me?" Dallas asked once they were on the front porch.

"Look!" Johnny said excitedly, pointing at the sky. "Look at all the colors!"

It had been raining a few hours ago, but now the clouds painted the sky, adding colors to the already beautiful sunset. The sky was covered with vibrant tones of orange and pink, while the clouds were hues of purple.

"Isn't that something?" Dally agreed, looking at the pretty evening sky as well.

"What color is your favorite?" JJ asked.

Dally stared at the sky a long moment, taking in the beauty as he pulled his son into his lap on the rocking chair in their front porch.

"I like over there, over where the sun is going down, with the red and pink and orange," he said finally.

"That's not an answer, I asked your favorite!" Johnny protested.

"The gold," Dallas decided. "I like the gold the best."

Estelle set down the knife she was sharpening and joined the rest of her little family. She walked out onto the porch, and pressed a kiss to her husband's lips.

"Ew!" Johnny said indignantly.

His parents both laughed.

"It's been a long path that's lead us to this point, you'll learn to appreciate these little moments when you're older," Estelle told him in a wistful and far away voice, running a hand through his hair.

"What do you mean, a long path?" He asked.

"It's a very long story, a story that hasn't even ended yet," she explained. "It means that life has taken me and your dad through so many different things, and I'm happy this is where it took me."

"I like stories, I wanna hear!" He said naïvely.

Dally laughed. "Well, the story starts in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with me and your uncles, and a boy known as Babydoll."