Chapter 5

"Did, did you really kill that Soc?" Johnny asked Babydoll as they walked.

"Not willingly. But if I didn't, we all know what he woulda' done to Pony. And even after that Pony still probably woulda' drowned too."

"Did the others see you?"

"They saw me drag Pony away from the dead Soc. But you were there too, Johnny, and that's what concerns me. They're either gonna blame me or you, and I'm pretty sure they don't really know who I am since I never went to y'all's school."

"So what are we gonna do?" Ponyboy asked, his teeth chattering.

"I'm taking y'all to Dally, he can get you out of here while I pretend I was never there."

"Wait, back up, what?"

"They don't know who I am, they can't pin on on me. So they'll pin the crime, the crime there, on you two. So you can't be here, for the cops to get ya. There's an abandoned church, a town over or so. Dallas can get you the shit you need to stay there for a week or so until something's happened and we can make a bette plan from there."

"But what about the rest of the gang?"

"The less they know for now the better."

"But what if-"

"Nope, we don't have time for that. Come on," Babydoll said, marching into Buck's house.

He glanced around the room, not seeing Dally, so he lead them up to the room he knew Dallas Winston would be in.

He slammed open the door, and yelled, "Oi, Blondie, I need a favor!"

"Fuck off, I don't owe you jack shit," he snarled in response.

"Yeah, well, it ain't for me, it's for these two," he said, gesturing to the other two in the room.

"What happened?" He said, sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

"A guy is dead in a fountain, I fucked him up before he could fuck Ponyboy, and now these two need to be sent to church," he said, sarcasm dripping from his voice. "The details don't really matter, a Soc is dead, I killed him, but the other Socs are gonna probably blame Johnny, and I don't have the cash to send em to the old church on me. So can you find, maybe $50 and maybe a gun and some weeds? That'd be great."

"Jesus fuck," he swore, standing up and throwing his jacket on. "Pony, you should change before you die of hypothermia," he added, throwing him some clothes.

"And that's my cue to go, hope y'all make it out safe. And don't worry, if word gets back that I was there I won't rat y'all out."

"Thanks, Babydoll, good luck to you too," Johnny said.

"Whattaya mean, rat us out?" Pony said, backtracking.

"Oh come on, if everything was fine y'all woulda been at home, especially Pony, I know that the door to the Curtis house is always unlocked. Something must've happened with your brothers, I won't tell em what happened unless you want me to."

"No, they can't know," he said, turning to meet Babydoll in the eyes.

"Okay. That's your choice. If anyone asks, I'll just tell em that you're safe and not to worry about it."

"Thanks."

Babydoll left the room, and went to the nearest bathroom, and pulled his still-bloody knife out of his pocket. He'd dunked it into the fountain and rinsed off most of the blood, but it was still crusted with bits of the blood.

He opened the blade, and then quickly set it down and spilled the contents of his stomach into the toilet. Seeing the blood, the evidence of what he had done, it was too much.

He gingerly picked up the blade and snapped it back shut, before walking back into the bedroom, realizing it was the one he'd slept in a few nights before.

Now that Dallas was gone, he put the knife in his jacket pocket and put his jacket on one of the bedposts, and crawled between the sheets.

He wrinkled his nose, realizing that technically he and Dally has "shared a bed." Also, he now knew exactly what Dallas Winston smelled like, and that was uncomfortably personal. But at least it was a distraction.

"Hey! Get out of my bed, you assholes!"

Babydoll groaned. He was seconds away from falling asleep. Sleep he very much deserved by then.

"Make me. And remember, I killed someone today."

He looked taken aback at that. "How the hell can you say that so casually?"

"Don't think it's set in yet, and I'm fucking tired. Kinda delirious."

"That's too bad, get out of my bed."

He sat up. "Yeah, well, I need sleep if I'm running off tomorrow. And you don't live here, it's just as much mine as yours." Then he smirked. "But you're free to join me if you'd like."

Dally scowled at him, before grabbing the covers and flopping down on the mattress.

"Okay. Don't make it weird," Babydoll said in a singsong voice.

"Naw, that's all you. Now shut the he'll up and go to sleep."