Chapter 56

"You did what?"

"Bought a house, yes."

"How?"

"I'm not really sure either honestly, it's just figuring itself out and I'm going along with it."

"Where's the money coming from?"

"Insurance. I had to go get a fucking dress for that shit, can't go talk to people all professional when I look like a street rat."

"Got, not bought?"

"You think I'm wasting money on that?"

He smirked. "No."

"Smart. But anyways, I did what I had to do, and now I am the owner of a house not far from the Curtis house, in pretty good shape, with the furnishings and stuff still there."

"What do you mean, what you had to do?"

"Oh, it might not be completely fully legal. But apparently since my legal guardians are all, you know, dead, and I was already "living on my own," a few people pulled a couple strings, I made a few empty promises, and now we have a place to live."

He threw his arms around her shoulders. "That's my girl, when do we move in or whatever?"

She shrugged. "I don't know, whenever we want, I guess. It's ours. And also in the next few days I should have access to my bank accounts, we can live like kings."

"Why can't we sooner?"

She giggled, something she rarely did. "Because I'm not eighteen yet."

He raised his eyebrows. "Your birthday is in a few days?"

She nodded. "I think. I don't actually know my actual date of birth, we didn't celebrate it too much when I was little, my mom would just make me special breakfast and give me a new doll or something. But I think it's soon, according to dates and shit on legal stuff."

Dally didn't give her much of a reply, he just mentally filed that information away, so that he could get her something. It was the least he could do.

"What are you doing today?" Dally asked, changing the topic.

"I don't have plans, whatever you want. I'm free for the rest of the way unless someone randomly dies."

"Don't say that or it might come true."

"I'm free for the rest of the day unless someone's randomly born or something."

"Don't say that either."

"I'm free for the rest of the day."

He smirked. "Interesting. What do you say we go check out this new house of ours?"

_____
The house itself wasn't overly large, it would comfortably house around 4 people. It was similar to the Curtis house, but was slightly more open and airy. But it was also less homey.

Dally wrinkled his nose. "It's so, perfect. I don't like it."

"Doesn't have to stay that way, neither of us are that tidy or precise. And kids are messy. I swear, it'll be a disgusting swamp sooner than you would ever want it."

He just scowled.

"Look, I know you really aren't fond of kids, but I'm not either, and I've made an exception because it's my kid. I think you will too."

He didn't look convinced.

"Or so we can hope. Anyways, I'm going out shopping for things we might need later today, while I still have energy. You're welcome to come along, but I doubt you would want to."

"Who're you going with?"

"Ponyboy and Sodapop, probably. Darry doesn't trust me driving."

"And why might that be?"

"No clue, I'm a safe driver, it's not like I'm getting uncomfortably large."

Dally snickered and ruffled her hair. "Don't waste money on cute shit, I don't wanna have to see that crap around."

"But what if it's a girl?"

"Then she can live without ruffles and bows and shit, I don't want to look at it."

"Fair enough. Here's a key, don't lose it," she said flipping it to him out of her pocket.

He snatched it out of the air and slipped it into his pocket before pressing a kiss to the top of her head as she left, startling her.

He just laughed a bit. "Don't waste money on flowery useless shit, okay?"

____
"Right, I didn't tell y'all earlier but you two are going shopping with me," she said, grabbing Ponyboy and Sodapop by the wrists.

"For what?" Sodapop asked, but not resisting.

"House stuff. Whatever one needs when moving into a place."

He grinned. "Well why didn't you tell us? We could've gotten the whole gang to help y'all out!"

She shuddered. "That sounds like a terrible idea, I wouldn't trust Two-Bit with hardly anything."

"But we'd make sure he behaved!"

"I mean, round em all up I guess, Dally's already off."

"Off where?" Ponyboy asked.

"I dunno, I don't really care. But Darry says I can't drive any more, that's why I need you, Soda."

"Gee thanks. I feel appreciated."

She smiled and patted his cheek condescendingly. "I'm sure you'll do your job just fine. And Ponyboy, you've got a good eye for this kind of stuff, so I'm dragging you along too."

They made it to a home goods store, where Estelle immediately went for useful items like plates and utensils, while Ponyboy pointed out things that would go well together that she could use, and Sodapop found items that would be useful, but were dumb enough she wouldn't voluntarily spend money on them.

"Soda, those are the ugliest sheets I've ever seen, and I went to jail multiple times."

"Yeah, but you'll never find a stain."

"That whole sheet is a stain. I think I'd get a headache looking at that and die before ever sleeping on them."

"Motivates you to get you up in the morning."

"Motivation to never have more kids," she snickered.

She laughed as Sodapop's smile became a bit forced, as he was obviously trying not to think about what she'd just said. He silently walked away from her.

"Hey Estelle, you should buy this mug," Ponyboy said, handing her a mug with a dog on it.

"Why? I already have a dog, I'd rather look at the real thing than a cup."

"Wow, be boring then and get plain white ones."

"I will, then."

"I thought you were more interesting than that, but I guess I was wrong."

"No, I am, I just cannot care what kitchen items look like, it won't make me any happier to scrub day-old food off of a plate with a smiley face on it than a plain one."

"Boring."

"Were you not listening to anything I just said?"

"Oh I was, you're just boring."