Chapter 48

"Darry how could you?" Estelle screeched, grabbing the attention of Sodapop and Steve, who were on the couch, and Two-Bit on the floor in front of the TV.

"It's not just for you, but for the good of both of you," he replied calmly.

"That was not your choice to make!"

"I suggested you do it yourself, and you said you would, and then you didn't."

"How am I supposed to- My only dress is in Arkansas! I look like a boy! I can't go!"

"Yes you can, you can go buy another one,"

"No," she whimpered, "I can't. News spreads like lightning, I'll ruin my cover."

Darry rolled his eyes. "Then borrow something."

"From who?!"

"I'm sure you can figure it out, you're a smart girl."

Estelle clenched her fists and jerkily unclenched them, resisting the urge to sock Darry in the jaw. He had made her a doctor's appointment to make sure she and her child were healthy without telling her, and while she knew it was the right choice and she should have done it herself much sooner, it still made her furious.

Her dog, who had previously been happily sitting with Two-Bit came over to her, sensing her distress.

"It's okay, Ollie," she cooed, petting him. "Darry just is taking is guardian role a little too seriously right now."

She was struck with a sudden thought, and immediately grabbed her keys and went to leave.

"If Dally comes by while I'm out, tell him I'm cashing a favor," she shouted to no one in particular.

_____
She turned the car on and quickly backed out, and then drove around 20 over the speed limit towards the Soc side of town.

She tried to remember where Cherry Valance lived, and spotted her little car in the driveway. She was glad she hadn't egged it last week, or else this plan would be completely doomed.

She screeched the car to a stop on the curb, and got out and jogged out to the door.

She pounded her first on the door a few times, and hoped that Cherry was the one to answer the door.

The redhead herself opened the door, and immediately gave her a mildly disgusted look. "Babydoll," she said, sounding less than pleased.

"Estelle," she corrected. "Look, I know that I'm in no position to be asking anything of you, and you by no means have to help me, but I need to ask a slight favor."

Cherry didn't answer, but she didn't slam the door, which Estelle took as a cue to continue talking.

"Look, I'm pregnant, and Darry made me a doctor's appointment, but I can't really show up looking like this. And I'm a little taller than you and you've got a different figure than me but I need to ask if I could just borrow one of your dresses? Just for tomorrow?" She rushed out, wincing.

"And why should I help you?" Cherry asked with the same look of cold disdain.

Estelle paused. "I don't have a good answer," she admitted. "I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask."

Cherry thought for a moment, before shaking her head and moving to close the door.

"Wait!" Estelle said. "Remember that time? We we're in, on, maybe first grade. And that boy, I forgot who he was, some older Greaser, came over and started teasing you for your hair? And then I told him to go away, and kicked his shins till he did?"