Chapter Two

Elle had walked down the stairs and into the common room. Bags where evident in her eyes but she didn't have a care in the world about it. She made her way to pick out a book of the day that she would reed instead of paying attention.

Her fingers passed each of the titles until she finally picked one and put it in her bag. She walked out of the common room and to the great hall for breakfast.

When she entered a group of girls had called her over to sit with them. Her always being naive, she ran over in a giddy state as she sat down thinking someone actually wanted to be her friend. But she was wrong. They asked their questions about the marauders and Lily before ignoring her presence completely.

She looked down silently scolding herself. After a few minutes of finding her shoes more interesting than the world, she looked up and was met with Regulus looking back at her. His face was neutral but he seemed to be smiling at her through his eyes. Unlike him, she gave him the biggest, goofiest smile ever that made him return one and let out a chuckle.

They had potions together, first. It was the beginning of sixth year and a million worries seemed to stay in her head at all times.

She walked slowly through the halls, after her humiliating breakfast. And to her surprise someone joined her. Regulus walked up beside her, not saying a word, but his presence meant more to her than anyone would know.

Elle really wished the day would be over, she wanted to talk to the boy again.

They sat down at their seats and like all the other days, Ellery was at the back, alone. Except Regulus had gotten up and sat next to her, ignoring his Slytherin friend who called after him. The two stayed silent all class and wrote down the notes for the potion.

But that was the thing. Neither needed to say anything in the presence of the other. Their company alone, was enough.

~~~

"Good... Night?" Ellery asked unsure of the proper terms.

"It has been. You?"

"Not the greatest, I just did homework with Lily and Remus peering over my shoulder to check it and my brother constantly telling me not to be so gullible and to stay with him."

"Sounds... I don't know."

"I know he loves me, but it's like he controls my life from all pain, and then I just get hurt in the end anyways."

Regulus looks sadly at the girl.

"I don't know much of your situation but I'll never hurt you." Regulus reached out his hand and laced their fingers together in silent sureness.

"I know Sirius's side of the stories, but not your own, if you ever want to talk, I'm here. I'm always here."

"Dido." Regulus smirked.

The two sat in comfortable silence for a few moments just looking up at the stars before Ellery started. "I've never told anyone this." She looked forward at the lake and the sky not wanting to meet his eye. "But it's been six years and I need to tell someone."

"You can always tell me."

"I have spent my whole life being known as James's little sister, and everyone knows that our home is warm and loving and perfect. And it is, I love my parents and they're always there for me and they love us, sometimes I think too much and James is a great big brother, always looking out for me but..."

"But what?"

"But sometimes its hard to talk to them. They expect so much and I have little to give. They expect us to always be happy and thankful but how can I when I spend everyday alone. No one wants to be my friend, they just want to get to my brother and his friends and know when James will break up with Lily so they can have him. I just don't understand why I'm not enough."

"Your more than enough for me."

Elle looked up at the boy and met his eyes. "You Regulus Black are a mystery."

"I try." He shrugs with a smirk. "I understand what it's like to be sheltered by older siblings popularity. Everyone loves Sirius but no one takes a second look at me. They just see me as a Slytherin who's going to turn out to be a death eater."

"Your so much more than that."

"Am I?"

"Yes."

"I don't think so, because they're right." Regulus looked down. "This summer my parents want me to become a death eater before seventh year."

Ellery placed both of her hands softly on his cheeks and directed his face to look at her. "Do you want to be a death rather?"

"No." There was no hesitation.

"Then that's all that matters, you'll do it to survive but that doesn't mean you have to act like one of them."

"Thank you."

The two smiled at the other letting the comfortable silence take over once again. Who would know that this friendship meant the world to both. That this was something they both needed. The only wish, they could be friends when the sun was out as well as the moon.