Comprehension

Chapter fourteen

|||

As it became time to go, I made my way to work.

I had a lot to do.

Well, I had a lot of things I wanted answered, and that's something detectives do.

Uncover the truth, or something.

Even with everything that happened, I hadn't forgotten the whole reason why the office shut down yesterday.

I wanted to know the reason.

By the time I had sorted my questions in an order of importance, I had already arrived at work.

As soon as I stepped into the office, everyone was just working as if nothing had happened.

The whole office shut down and now?

They're just back to work!

"Good morning, Shuichi!", A voice called out.

It must be someone I know, since they're calling me by my first name.

It was deep and sort of smokey, not in a smokey sausage way, but more in a smokey lung way.

Either the owner of the voice smoked, or just had terrible lungs.

I turned around to see Kaito Momota, the cop working together with the agency, who seems awfully chummy with Harukawa-san.

Also he was acting as if nothing was wrong.

Though he didn't seem to be acting...

Was he clueless, or just slightly stupid?

Wow, what a rude thought to have, I mentally slapped myself.

"Momota-san, um, good morning."

I refrained myself from asking someone who doesn't even work here what happened, even though he was a police officer, who knows if he actually knew.

"Ah, you know, communication is key in a team. If you don't communicate, things can be misunderstood and left unsettled," he spoke like a knowledgeable guru while walking past, patting me on the shoulder.

"O-kay..?", I said in a questioning tone.

"Ah, don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud!", he grinned, disappearing into who knows where.

Even though he was just spewing his random wisdom, it was helpful.

Just like how I had thought Kokichi was some sort of criminal, since well..

I can't say we didn't communicate, but it certainly lead to misunderstandings.

As soon as Momota-san disappeared, Harukawa-san appeared right from the direction he had gone off to.

And she was headed straight towards me.

"Saihara-san, follow me. I'm sure you have a lot of questions," she said, motioning towards a meeting room.

"Oh, how did you-"

"Kaito-.. Momota-san hinted towards it."

Is that why he was babbling on about communication?

I followed Harukawa-san into the meeting room and took the seat opposite to where she was sitting.

"You might be wondering why the office shut down yesterday, and why nobody seems to care,"