"Taking you back?"

Reyna snorted. "Oh yeah. You know you were never very nice to me when I was learning."

Anissa tossed the tape to Reyna. "That's the point. You can't learn hand-to-hand combat without the combat."

"Mmhmm. I've been waiting all these years to get you back."

"Oh yeah? I may have been away for year, but I can still kick your ass, Rey."

Reyna took off her jacket and tossed it on the bench before jogging out into the ring. "Come at me then."

Anissa grinned. "Before we get started, want to tell me what's going on?"

"Really? Just for that, I'm not going easy on you."

"I expect nothing less."

Anissa attacked first, she always did. Reyna ducked under the uppercut, then whipped around and drive her elbow into Anissa's side. Anissa grunted but caught Reyna's arm and wrenched it sideways, knocking her off balance. They circled each other, weighing their opponent. Anissa was an excellent kickboxer, but she'd been at medical school for a year. Reyna spent the last year taking out her frustrations on the punching bag.

Reyna attacked again, tackling Anissa to the ground. Anissa grimaced and slipped out from under her, rolling to her feet. Before Reyna could recover, Anissa spun on her heel and kicked in her in the chest, knocking Reyna back a few feet. Her chest burned, and Reyna shook her head to clear it.

Anissa grinned and bounced on the balls of her feet. "Aww, a little slow today, Rey?"

"You wish." Reyna launched herself forward, catching the side of Anissa's face with her elbow. Anissa stumbled, her normally sure-footing broken, and Reyna tackled her waist. They hit the ground rolling and Reyna looped her arm around Anissa's neck. She squeezed lightly as Anissa squirmed, until finally she tapped out on the floor.

"Damnit!" Anissa said, rolling away. "You've still got moves."

Reyna brushed the hair out of her face. "And you're still too cocky."

"Again." Anissa jumped her feet and rotated her shoulder. "I needed a practice round."

"Anissa, I really-"

"Again!" she insisted. "C'mon, one more time."

"I- fine. But when I'm late to battle drills..."

"Please. You're the praetor, you can do what you want. Can't Jason take care of that?" Reyna caught the undercurrents in Anissa's voice, she never liked Jason much and she wasn't alone in that sentiment, especially after he left.

"Let's just get this over with."

Reyna and Anissa circled each other again, the mat spongy beneath their feet. Anissa attacked first again, this time catching Reyna's arm and twisting it behind her. Reyna grimaced and pushed back, then drove her free elbow into Anissa's ribs. She released her grip and shoved Reyna away.

They circled again, then Anissa drove her foot into Reyna's stomach. As Reyna coughed and doubled over to catch her breath, Anissa launched forward and swept Reyna's legs out from under her. She hit the mat hard, and Anissa pinned her, her arms trapped at her sides and Anissa's forearm against her collar bone.

"Are you kidding," Reyna groaned. "I can't believe I fell for that move again."

Anissa smirked. "Told you I still got it."

"Yeah, yeah. Let me up, I have to get going."

Anissa blinked down at Reyna for a moment. "No."

"What do you mean no?"