Volume 1 - Chapter 8: Jaunedice

"Called it," (Y/N) said.

Pyrrha sighed in disappointment as the match between Cardin and Jaune came to an end, with Cardin as the winner.

"Alright, Pyrrha, pay up!" (Y/N) said.

"We didn't bet," Pyrrha said.

"Dammit," (Y/N) muttered under his breath.

"Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's aura has now dropped into the red," Glynda said. "In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match."

Glynda turned to Jaune.

"Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now," she said. "Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?"

"Speak for yourself," Cardin grumbled.

Glynda turned to the audience, who were clearly excited.

"Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away!" she said. "It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!"

The bell ring, and (Y/N) walked out with his teammates, while Jaune sat on the stage, defeated.

Later that day, RWBY+_ and JNPR sat in the cafeteria, Jaune picking at his food, while Nora told a story.

"So!" Nora said. "There we were, in the middle of the night..."

"It was day," Ren corrected.

"We were surrounded by Ursai..."

"They were Beowolves."

"Dozens of them!"

"Two of 'em."

"But they were no match... And in the end, Ren and I took them down and made a boatload of Lien selling Ursa skin rugs!"

Ren sighed. "She's been having this recurring dream for nearly a month now."

Pyrrha hadn't been paying attention to anything Nora was saying, more focused on Jaune, who was picking at his food.

"Jaune?" she said. "Are you okay?"

Jaune snapped back into reality, looking back up at Pyrrha. "Huh? Oh, yeah! Why?"

"It's just that you seem a little... not okay," Ruby said.

Jaune looked around, and panicked as he realized everyone at the table was looking at him.

"Guys, I'm fine. Seriously! Look!"

He gave a thumbs up, laughing nervously, only stopping when he saw Team CRDL closing in on Velvet at another table.

"Jaune," Pyrrha said, "Cardin's been picking on you since the first week of school!"

"Who? Cardin Winchester? Nah... He just likes to mess around! You know, practical jokes!"

"He's a bully," Ruby said.

Jaune scoffed. "Oh, please! Name one time he's 'bullied' me."

"Let's see," (Y/N) said, counting with his fingers. "Made you spill your books, got you stuck with your shield, pushed you in a locker and launched you out of the school."

"I didn't land far from the school!" Jaune said.

"Jaune, you know if you ever need help, you can just ask," Pyrrha said.