Volume 1 - Chapter 1: The Faunus

(Y/N) took another sip of (F/D).

He glanced up at the bar tender. He'd been to this bar a couple times, despite his age. He was very persuasive.

(Y/N) had been travelling Remnant for as long as he could remember. Though he had no memories of when or how he was born, he distinctly remembered being able to think clearly, and even walk as a toddler.

Hell, if he remembered right, he'd woken up with no memories when he was a baby. Yet he could still think like he was far more mature. Of course he was curious where he'd come from. From the vague memories of his thoughts at such a young age, he could remember being born not in a hospital room, not with any sort of parent, but completely alone.

Of course he didn't think much of it then. He was mature enough to think for himself, to walk without assistance, and to kill Grimm with one atomic ring, but not mature enough to learn how families work, or even that civilization existed.

But of course, over his 16 years of living, he learned. He learned about civilization. He learned about faunus. He learned how families work. And he learned that the faunus traits he had was not like any other.

(Y/N) glanced back at the dorsal fins on his back, and the tail trailing to the floor. Of course he was discriminated for them. Humans never thought about anything but themselves. If he were any other kind of faunus, he could've hidden these features. But he couldn't even put on a shirt without leaving dozens of holes.

But that wasn't his concern with his faunus traits. Again, they were abnormal traits, even to faunus. He couldn't go anywhere without a human or even a fellow faunus to look at him like he was a freak. He couldn't blame them. Even he didn't know what he was.

But he intended to find out.

He sighed, turning away from the dorsal fins, as he took another sip of (F/D).

He heard footsteps coming up behind him, as someone sat next to him.

"I'll get the usual," he said.

"Right away, sir."

"Hey, Qrow," (Y/N) said.

Of course he knew Qrow. He'd visited this bar every once in a while, talking about his missions. And, of course, he'd been interested in his faunus traits. But it wasn't a discriminatory interest. It was just a genuine interest. Obviously, (Y/N) had grown to like him. Especially since he seemed like a genuine badass.

"Hey, kid," Qrow said. "How's the fins? Figured out what they are yet?"

"Not yet," (Y/N) said, taking another drink. "Still looking into it."

Qrow nodded, as his usual drink was given to him.

"What about your family?" he asked. "Any idea where they might be?"

"Take a guess," (Y/N) said.

"So that's a no," he said.

"I just need some kind of clue," he said. "I mean, take a look at any map of Remnant. Gonna take a lot more than 17 years to find them without a clue."

"I know," Qrow said. "You've babbled on about that for every time we talk. Which is--"

"Well, can you blame me?" (Y/N) interrupted. "I don't even know what these faunus traits are!"

"Which is why!" Qrow cut him off. "I brought someone who might be able to help."

(Y/N) turned to him with a raised eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

Qrow turned around.

"Oz, this is the kid I was talking about."