Volume 1 - Chapter 3: The First Step

(Y/N) had his tail curled over his body to warm himself up.

He was very used to sleeping on the floor, after years of living on the streets. He figured he'd get a dorm later on, meaning he could finally experience laying in a bed for the first time in his life. It was something he was already looking forward to.

"Wake up, lazy butt!"

(Y/N) opened an eye, and saw a girl dressed in black and white with a pink skirt waking up her friend, a guy dressed in green.

"It's morning! It's morning! It's morning! It's morning!" she sang.

(Y/N) rolled his eyes, and stood up to walk off.

After getting himself ready for the day, (Y/N) made his way to the locker room. Of course, he didn't really have an assigned locker. He didn't have a weapon, or any other clothes besides the one he was wearing. But everyone else was there, so he didn't really have anywhere else to go.

"Excuse me?"

(Y/N) turned around to see a girl with red hair, who wore what looked like some form of spartan clothing.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but what kind of faunus are you?" she asked.

(Y/N) rolled his eyes.

"He doesn't know."

(Y/N) turned to see Weiss standing at her own locker, right beside the redhead.

"Yes, thanks," (Y/N) said.

A part of him was surprised that he'd thanked a Schnee of all people.

"Finally, he shows some appreciation," Weiss said.

Aaaand there was the heiress he hated.

"Oh, I see," the redhead said. "It's just... I've--"

"Never seen a creature with these traits," (Y/N) finished. "I know. Everybody has been asking me about it."

"Oh. Well, I'm sorry. It must get annoying when the same question is asked multiple times."

"Thank you!!! It is!!!"

Jaune past (Y/N), grumbling to himself as he looked at a map. "Why does this have to happen today?"

"So, Pyrrha," Weiss said to the redhead, who's name was apparently Pyrrha, "have you given any thought to whose team you'd like to be on? I'm sure everyone must be eager to unite with such a strong, well-known individual such as yourself!"

"Hmm... I'm not quite sure," Pyrrha said. "I was planning on letting the chips fall where they may."

"Well... I was thinking maybe we could be on a team together," Weiss said.

"Well, that sounds grand!" Pyrrha said.

"Great!" Weiss said.

Then, she turned around, with a devious look on her face. (Y/N) rolled his eyes, knowing exactly what she must've been thinking.

Then, Jaune stepped inbetween Pyrrha and Weiss. "You know what else is great? Me. Jaune Arc. Nice to meet you."

"Oh no," (Y/N) facepalmed as he knew exactly what was about to happen.

"You again?" Weiss said, irritated.

"Nice to meet you, Jaune!" Pyrrha said, stepping in front of Jaune to be noticed.

"Yeah, yeah," Jaune said, pushing Pyrrha aside. "So, Weiss, couldn't help but overhear your fondness of me the other day."

"Oohh nooo," (Y/N) grumbled, burying his face deeper in his hands.