The Great Escape - Part 1

It had all been leading up to this.

Every aspect of Jessica's year had been controlled and now the control was about to be handed back to her through the one thing she had been trained not to do...rebellion.

It was the day before her trial, and subsequently, the day of the Defence Against The Dark Arts O.W.L exam. Jessica had to attend the exam to keep up appearances, so she walked into the Great Hall that afternoon in her Slytherin robes like nothing was wrong and deposited a wand at the door like everyone else. She then sat down at her assigned seat like she normally would and pretended to be nervous for the exam - though she actually couldn't care less about whatever paper was put in front of her.

After fifteen minutes of the exam starting, Jessica nervously looked past Lavender Browns hair to spy on Umbridge, who had been surveying everyone from the front to make sure there was no evidence of cheating. Jessica hadn't thought it necessary for her to start writing an essay so she just sat there in the third row waiting for the plan Fred had devised to begin. Every now and again she would sneak a glimpse across the row to Hermione who was two desks down, but she was too occupied with actually still trying to pass the exam to notice her. Ron on the other hand, was happy to give her a reassuring nod, as he had opened the paper at the start and immediately closed it a second later after seeing the first question.

Ten...Nine...Eight...

Tick, Tock went the huge clock behind Umbridge, her toad-like features disgustingly gleaming at the silence that was sat down below her. It was going to happen any second now, and Jessica subtly rubbed her back along the chair, checking to see if her real wand was still hidden there and hadn't fallen out of her skirt. It had been Ron's old wand that she had given to Filch at the door, as the the old caretaker wouldn't be able to tell a working one from a snapped twig.

Seven...Six...Five...

Jessica clenched her quill, ready to throw it in case of emergency.

Four...Three...

Harry looked over, his hand itching at the bottom of his shirt waiting for the signal.

Two...One...

A bang was heard in the distance and Umbridge immediately was alerted to it. Jessica looked down and pretended to write something on her parchment as she stormed past her, searching to inspect where the sound could've come from. When she was clear, Jessica turned around and watched Umbridge reach the doors to the Great Hall, seeing Ron already grinning in anticipation as a single spark of light flew out to burn the tip of Umbridge's nose. This resulted in a very high pitched shriek escaping her mouth and even Hermione neglected her exam paper to turn and look alongside a few other students. Even those who hadn't been distracted were giggling under their breath, but one by one the curiosity got the better of them and soon the whole hall was watching Umbridge panic.

"Come on Freddie," Jessica muttered in support under her breath.

For a moment...nothing. The calm before the storm. But then, it all happened at once, a beautiful storm that was to break all of the stupid rules that Umbridge had ever set.

"How's this for unruly behaviour you old hag!" shouted Fred and George as they flew into the Great Hall straight over Umbridge's head. They were each carrying a bagful of Theo & Blaise's explosives that they had stolen from the party and started to throw them up into the air to create the most colour and light the grand room had seen in months.

Fireworks were everywhere. Brightness was everywhere. It reminded Jessica of how she and Fred had spent New Year's Eve and the vision she had seen on her first night at Grimmauld Place. It was like the necklace was trying to tell her to put her faith in Fred even then.