Chapter 18

I should probably take down the sign that says I am currently hiring. Right now, I think 3 people are good enough to run this small cafe for now. 

As I start to peel off the sign someone enters my bakery. I gave Charlotte and Quinn the day off considering how much they have helped me. I think today should be a slow day anyway. I follow them and go behind the counter. "Hi, how can I help you?" I ask politely.

"Yeah, um are you hiring?" The boy scratches his neck nervously. He's around my age, if not still in high school.

"Oh. Um, I am currently on full staff but I gave them the day off today. So if you want you can still try it out?" I suggest.

"Yeah, could I? I mean if that's fine with you of course."

"Yeah. Do you know how to bake or work a cash register or anything?" I ask. I don't think I need much more people who can work the cashier because all three of us know how to. But I might need another baker since Charlotte has her days off from work as well.

"I can bake a little. But if I'm not good enough I can be a busboy," He says.

I quirk up an eyebrow. "A busboy in a bakery. Not very common but okay. You can start today and see how you feel about everything."

I would say that the pay is pretty good around here. My dad is the one helping me with the money management and how much each worker gets paid. They would earn around $13.25 an hour. But we would open around 10 am and close around 8 pm. 

The boy comes around behind the counter. Wait, I totally forgot to ask his name. "So what was your name?" I ask tying the apron around my waist. Ugh, I can't get enough of how cute this is.

"Andrew." He replies.

"Are you in high school?" I ask and he nods his head. "Okay, so I think we're pretty good on the pastries and cakes but mind showing me what you can bake?" I ask and he nods his head once again. He's not very much of a talker. That's okay, if he gets social anxiety I'll have him work in the back. "So, just bake anything you feel comfortable with. I'll be outside doing a little cleanup. There should be labels on the ingredients," I explain.

He heads to the back to start doing whatever. I know I should supervise him, but I don't want him to feel like he's under pressure. 

I go back outside and once I check the clock to see that it's 10 am on the dot, I flip the sign to open and go back to peeling the hiring sign off the glass wall.

"A little sticker stain, nothing too bad," I say to myself.

I head back inside and the bell rings already. Rowan and the guys stroll into my bakery. "Hey Holly," Rowan says coming around the counter and pecks my lips.

"Hi, so--" I get cut off by someone dropping something in the back. Andrew, oh gosh. I pull out of his embrace and make my way to the back. "Oh my goodness, are you alright?" I ask. 

"Yeah, just a bit clumsy," He says laughing nervously. "I'll clean this up I promise," He adds quickly.

The guys follow to the back and Rowan narrows his eyes on the boy in my kitchen. "Who's this?"

"Boys, this is Andrew. He might be a new worker so please don't do anything stupid," I introduce them. "Andrew, these are my boys."

He raises both of his eyebrows. "These are your....... sons?" He asks unbelievably. "You look a bit young to be a mom."

"No, they're my friends but I like to call them my boys," I say giggling at his thought. Though I think we would make a pretty hot family if I do say so myself. "Boys, could you watch the front for me I'm going to have a chat with Andrew," I say and they nod their heads. Rowan gives Andrew one last stare down before leaving.