แปด

Kit shifted from foot to the other, restless and eager to leave. Being the usual kind of cat shifter, he was extremely introverted, and wanted to go somewhere private. Preferably with his future lifemate. But Ming was still surrounded by a bunch of people wanting pictures and autographs with the new Campus Moon. So Kit was stuck here for now.

"I'm gonna head out," Beam stretched his arms over his head and yawned.

Kit didn't look at him. "Found a new target, hm?"

Beam shrugged. "Not tonight."

"...what?" Kit turned to Beam, catching himself before he gaped at his friend. "Seriously??"

"Not in the mood," Beam muttered, turning away. "See you later." He left before Kit could say another word.

Kit folded his arms and chewed on his lower lip in concern. That wasn't like Beam. The human never gave up a chance to score with the girls, human or shifter - but mostly human girls. So why was he acting so weird tonight??

"Where's Beam?"

Kit hid a smile as he looked up at Forth. "He just left. If you hurry, you can catch him."

Forth's eyes dimmed. "Is he going to the bar?"

"No. Said he's not in the mood," Kit answered. He hoped maybe Forth could figure out what was wrong with Beam and help him.

"I'll go after him," Forth ran off, happy again.

Kit wanted to laugh. He found it funny how smitten Forth was over Beam, and Beam, the idiot, didn't see it! Why was Beam able to sense if a girl wanted a night with him, even though they had never spoken to each other, but when it came to Forth, his 'sex radar' was either off or busted??

If I didn't know any better, I'd say Beam was part bunny shifter.

"Hi, lovely."

Kit stiffened at the strange voice. He wished Beam or Forth had stayed so he wasn't alone in dealing with whoever this stranger was. Talking to strangers was not his forte. He took a tiny sniff, and fought the urge to hiss and run away.

A lion shifter! Holy hell! Why did he come to me??? Lions and leopards don't mix!

The lion, a young, alpha male, smiled down at Kit. Probably thought he was being all smooth and seductive. "Alone for the night? I can take care of you."

Kit swallowed hard and managed to force out, "I have a mate. I'm fine." Go away, go away, go away, go away, go away...

"I don't see a claiming bite," the lion leaned closer for a better look, invading Kit's personal space. He even had the audacity to take a sniff of Kit's neck! "And you haven't been scented."

"That's none of your business," Kit said flatly. His cat was getting his back up, fur rising along the spine in fear-driven anger. Where was Ming when he needed him??

"Is that any way to talk to an alpha?"

"You're not my alpha," Kit hissed, scrambling away from the hand reaching for him. "My alpha just became the Campus Moon. Better leave before he tears you apart for even breathing in my direction."

The lion blinked. Then laughed. "And now you expect me to believe you have a wolf alpha?? Such a bad little liar, aren't you."

Kit growled in warning, low and dangerous. His hands were starting to shake. Where was Ming!