8- Unforgettable

Yo! Sorry that the updates are so slow!
And sorry in advance, this chapter might be a little cringe.
CW: mild cursing and slight descriptions of death.
Lots of dramatic pauses in this one!
Hope you enjoy!

Timeskip: winter
//Rantaro POV//

It's been a couple months since I started living with Shuichi, and since then, he still hasn't gained back any more of his past memories.

In September, he reconnected with Kiibo, and in October, Kaede and Miu.

But after that, he hasn't really remembered anything or anyone else.

For winter break, Shuichi, Kaede, and Kiibo are going back to their hometown in hopes to recover some of his lost memories.

Today is the day they'll be leaving.

"Kaede and Kiibo are here," I call to Shuichi. They're here to pick him up so that they can drive from here to the airport.

"Oh, I'm almost ready!" He replies. After a moment, he runs up to the front door and greets his old friends.

Shuichi really didn't pack much, just a bag with a book, some clothes and a couple other things to keep him busy. He really didn't need anything else, since he's kind of like a ghost, I guess.

Once, we were wondering if he would be able to take a shower, so he decided to try, and just a minute after he returned completely dry and in the same clothes. It reminded me of the day we first met...

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Shuichi asks as he's about to leave.

"Of course," I laugh, "I'm sure I'll survive. But I will miss your cooking."

He laughs, we hug, and then he's gone.

"Are you sure you're okay, Rantaro?"

...

What?

"Rantaro?"

I looked up. A girl with long, straight, blue hair and round glasses looked at me softly. Though her eyes looked so warm and kind, worry was also painted all over her face.

"Oh, I'm fine," I said. Huh. It's like I'm watching myself on a screen, and I'm not even talking, but, like, I am? This is confusing.

"...please don't lie to me," the girl said quietly.

"...why wouldn't I be fine?"

"You're lonely."

As I'm seemingly rewatching this distant memory, I can still feel the surprise that I did back then. She was right.

Tsumugi was practically a mind reader. You could never slip anything past her when it came to how you were truly feeling.

"It's just... I don't know... everyone leaves me. Why can't you hurry up and get better so you can come back to school?" I asked.

She giggled. It was a soft, sad kind of laughter.

"I wish I could, too, Rantaro."

"They all see me as some untouchable, perfect, pretty, popular guy. Like I don't feel anything at all. I'm pretty worthless, I guess," I confessed.

"But I'm really glad that I still have you. You're the best friend anyone could ever ask for. Thanks for everything, Tsumugi."

...