32

As part of an effort to expose Satyllus’ evil deeds, Welcy had once again been observing the Satyllus mansion since early morning. She rented a three-floor apartment in the neighborhood and spy on the mansion through the window. It goes without saying that she also collected all the findings from news coverage, but she still couldn’t find anything new from what she’s been doing. She had managed to get some information about some hidden rooms in the mansion from getting close to the servants and inebriating them for information, but the exact location of those rooms was still in the dark.

Supporting her elbow on the windowpane, Welcy observed the unchanging scenery languidly, until a loud noise reverberated from above her, causing her shoulders to tremble in shock.

Perhaps something fell on the rooftop of her building.

Following the impact, light knocking sounds echoed, indicating movement from whatever just landed, and Welcy could do naught but to look at the ceiling in terror.

Then, the cause of the noise descended from the rooftop. Her figure flashed briefly in front of the window and the person landed several meters below. In great panic, the girl immediately pounced on the window, opened its lock, and peeked her torso outwards to look straight down.

A girl with a small build stood there. Her hair glistened from the sun, and her shirt and short pants sport signs of wear and tear in multiple places. She recalled that figure, yet the expression the girl had betrays all the image she would identify her with.

“W-What are you doing?” asked Welcy timidly towards Flamm who just came crashing from the sky.

In response, the girl looked up to the source of the call in a scowl, but as soon as she recognized the person calling her out, her facial rout slackened.

“Welcy-san…aah, that’s right, you appeared at the right time. Mind coming with me?”

“Where?”

“I know where Satyllus’ hidden room is. We might get the information we’ve been looking for.”

“Huh!? Of course, I’m going! I’m going right now! Give me a moment!”

The girl was someone her elder brother trusts unconditionally, so there was no room in her heart to even doubt her.

Welcy flew out of her room after putting her jacket and backpack on before immediately rushing down the staircase, exiting the front door as if the apartment had exploded and stopped right in front of Flamm. The latter flashed a smile in response to her haste, but her eyes showed no sign her being entertained.

Feeling a sense of dread creeping up her spine, the girl heads for a direction opposite of the mansion under Flamm’s guidance.

“You said you know where the hidden room is, right?”

“That’s right. The entrance of that place lies somewhere else.”

“Huh…Where did you get that info…oh wait, I assume you can’t disclose that.”

That said, Welcy was still concerned. The girl had been snooping around for that exact information for ages and came up with nothing, so how could Flamm get that information in what seems to her an instant?

However, Flamm flatly answered:

“I beat that info out of the adventurers Satyllus hired just earlier.”

“…You beat the—”

“They took Milkit…my partner. Satyllus used to be her owner, so I think she just had some lingering attachment to her.”